Jul 17, 2011, 12:16 AM EDT
Bad news for the first-place Cardinals.
Punto has spent more time on rehabbing injuries this season than he’s spent on the active roster, and he air-mailed an awkward throw from third base in the late innings of Saturday’s win against the Reds.
The former Twin has been fairly productive when healthy, batting .267/.343/.389 with eight extra-base hits and 12 RBI in 90 at-bats. And manager Tony La Russa has used him frequently as a defensive replacement for some of the Cardinals’ flimsier infielders.
Albert Pujols launched the Rebirds back into sole possession of first place on Saturday in Cincinnati. The Cards are one game up in a weak division and boast an impressive offense. But this is a setback.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)