Rockies have spoken with Yankees about Ubaldo Jimenez

Jul 17, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

The Rockies still feel like they’re in contention in the weak National League West despite an ugly first half and haven’t fully committed to selling off pieces. But that could change as the July 31 non-waiver deadline approaches, and one player drawing league-wide interest is right-handed ace Ubaldo Jimenez.

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Yankees have engaged in discussions with the Rockies’ front office about acquiring Jimenez. The Red Sox, Tigers, Reds and others have also been linked.

Jimenez signed a team-friendly contract extension with Colorado in January 2009 that calls for a bargain $2.8 million salary this season, a $4.2 million salary in 2012, and contains affordable club options for 2013 ($5.75 million) and 2014 ($8 million). If the Rockies were to deal the 27-year-old right-hander, it wouldn’t be about dumping salary. It would be about seizing the opportunity to cash in on a high demand for quality starting pitching. Which means they’ll be asking for a boatload of young talent in return.

The Yankees might not be prepared to meet the asking price. According to Heyman’s source, young pitchers Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances and Ivan Nova have been deemed off-limits. Jesus Montero, on the other hand, may be available and has reportedly piqued the interest of the Rockies’ front office.

Jimenez has registered an underwhelming 4.08 ERA in 18 total starts this season, but he has a 2.56 ERA and 54/13 K/BB ratio in 59 2/3 innings since the start of June and garnered Cy Young Award votes in 2010.

1. bigleagues - Jul 17, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Yankees AGM, Jean Afterman: Hi Bill, how are you?

Rockies AGM, Bill Geivett: I’m fine, Jean and yourself? Haven’t takin any shots at the President lately, have you?

Afterman: Oh Bill, I’m never gonna live that one down am I?

Geivett: I’m afraid not. So let me guess . . . you are calling to express the Yankees interest in Jimenez.

Afterman: Actually we are more interested in Nicasio . . .

Geivett: (fake chuckling) Verrrrry funny.

Afterman: Not buying it, huh?

Geivett: (fake chuckle fading) Uh, no.

Afterman: All right, you got me. I confess, Cash asked me to call in our interest on Ubaldo. Are you legitimately shopping him?

Geivett: Let’s see, 27 years old, under team control with a very favorable contract for the next 3 seasons – suuuuure, Dowdsy said I could see what the interest level is.

Afterman: Well, our interest level would center on Montero.

Geivett: The DH posing as a Catcher? Hmmmmm. That would pique our interest.

Afterman: Oh, well that’s great! So what are the next ste-

Geivett: Jean, sorry, got to let you go – that’s Theo on the other line. They’re offering Felix Doubrant, Ryan Lavarnway, and either Anthony Ranaudo or Manuel Rivera , and either Josh Reddick or Chih-Hsien Chiang.

Afterman: So we’re probably not gonna get him, huh?

Geivett: Probably not, but the Sox might pull out. Either way, we’ve got to float the Yankees to keep the stakes high. Thanks, Jean.

Afterman: Ok . . . (CLICK)

• yankeesgameday - Jul 17, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Close the comment section for this post. nothing else is really relevant.

• Ari Collins - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Pretty funny, though I’m not sure how accurate. The Sox’ package listed isn’t much better than the Yankees’ simply offering Montero, considering it’s got quantity but not quality. Not a single player listed is as well-regarded as Montero (who I think is overrated, but that’s not necessarily the Rockies’ opinion).

Either way, it’ll probably take a package more like Montero plus Banuelos/Betances from the Yankees, and Renaudo, Middlebrooks, Iglesias/Reddick/Lavarnaway from Boston. If not more.

• bigleagues - Jul 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Ari,

I agree that the Yankees will have to budge on one of their “untouchables” in order to get something done. And Montero’s stock has fallen a little this year as he only has 7 HR and a .760 OPS – which is 14 HR and .110 off of last years numbers. And he has only thrown out 17% of attempted steals versus 23% last year. That said he is still one of the youngest players at the AAA level.

Not sure if you are aware, but Chiang has shot up the prospects chart this year and joined Middlebrooks at the Futures Game.

Chiang is sporting 16 HR, 30 Dbl, 67 RBI and a 1.029 OPS in just 296 AB’s

I would not be surprised to see Iglesias included in any deal. The Red Sox have talked him up as their future SS, but he simply cannot hit – at all.

Beyond that Ranaudo is proving his talent thus far and would have some trade value, but remains at least a year away.

Drake Britton has completely underwhelmed.

Rivera has had a standout season at high-A Greenville – but the Red Sox don’t have a Casey Kelly caliber Pitcher close to the majors.

Lackey stinks. Dice-K’s days in Boston are numbered. Andrew Miller is not the solution and so I would not be surprised – if Ubaldo is truly available – if the Sox open the farm doors and do what it takes to land him.

2. kyleortonsarm - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I don’t know the first post seemed to be the work of an under developed brain. I’m sure the comments section should stay open until the idiocy of the first posters ramblings is washed away in a sea of thoughtful discussion.

• Ari Collins - Jul 17, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Like yours?

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Yes, my brain is completely under-developed. In fact, my Doctors call me high-functioning for being such an idiot.

BTW – still waiting for you to add some thoughtful discussion to the sea..

3. pisano - Jul 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Just forget about Jimenez going to the Yankees. The only chance of a trade would probably be for Montero( as Ari stated is overrated ) Nova , and a lesser player, You can forget about Banuelos and Betances the Yankees feel they are untouchable. So I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for a deal between these two teams.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic