Jul 17, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun pulled himself out of the All-Star Game this year after sitting out for eight consecutive days to close out the first half due to tightness in his left calf and hamstring. Those leg problems have not gone away.
According to Nick Kosmider of MLB.com, the Milwaukee slugger made an early exit from Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Rockies after feeling renewed discomfort in both his calf and hammy.
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke assured reporters that Braun has not suffered a new injury, nor a major setback, and that he could return to the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Coors Field.
“His leg just never loosened up much,” Roenicke said. “It just stayed sore on him, and instead of pushing him and keeping him out there, we decided it was better to get him out.”
Braun, however, painted a slightly different picture in his Saturday chat with scribes:
“I can’t run yet, to be honest with you,” he said. “I can’t run yet at all. I’m unable to run, so I just jog as quickly as I can whenever the situation warrants it. Whenever I can avoid running or putting any extra stress on it, I think that’s in my best interest and the team’s best interest.”
Braun, 27, went 0-for-3 on Friday and 0-for-3 on Saturday but still has a sparkling .947 OPS on the season.
UPDATE, 12:23 PM: No surprise here. Braun is not in the Brewers’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 44
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 60
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)