Jul 17, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun pulled himself out of the All-Star Game this year after sitting out for eight consecutive days to close out the first half due to tightness in his left calf and hamstring. Those leg problems have not gone away.
According to Nick Kosmider of MLB.com, the Milwaukee slugger made an early exit from Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Rockies after feeling renewed discomfort in both his calf and hammy.
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke assured reporters that Braun has not suffered a new injury, nor a major setback, and that he could return to the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Coors Field.
“His leg just never loosened up much,” Roenicke said. “It just stayed sore on him, and instead of pushing him and keeping him out there, we decided it was better to get him out.”
Braun, however, painted a slightly different picture in his Saturday chat with scribes:
“I can’t run yet, to be honest with you,” he said. “I can’t run yet at all. I’m unable to run, so I just jog as quickly as I can whenever the situation warrants it. Whenever I can avoid running or putting any extra stress on it, I think that’s in my best interest and the team’s best interest.”
Braun, 27, went 0-for-3 on Friday and 0-for-3 on Saturday but still has a sparkling .947 OPS on the season.
UPDATE, 12:23 PM: No surprise here. Braun is not in the Brewers’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)