Jul 17, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun pulled himself out of the All-Star Game this year after sitting out for eight consecutive days to close out the first half due to tightness in his left calf and hamstring. Those leg problems have not gone away.
According to Nick Kosmider of MLB.com, the Milwaukee slugger made an early exit from Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Rockies after feeling renewed discomfort in both his calf and hammy.
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke assured reporters that Braun has not suffered a new injury, nor a major setback, and that he could return to the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Coors Field.
“His leg just never loosened up much,” Roenicke said. “It just stayed sore on him, and instead of pushing him and keeping him out there, we decided it was better to get him out.”
Braun, however, painted a slightly different picture in his Saturday chat with scribes:
“I can’t run yet, to be honest with you,” he said. “I can’t run yet at all. I’m unable to run, so I just jog as quickly as I can whenever the situation warrants it. Whenever I can avoid running or putting any extra stress on it, I think that’s in my best interest and the team’s best interest.”
Braun, 27, went 0-for-3 on Friday and 0-for-3 on Saturday but still has a sparkling .947 OPS on the season.
UPDATE, 12:23 PM: No surprise here. Braun is not in the Brewers’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 53
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)