Jul 17, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun pulled himself out of the All-Star Game this year after sitting out for eight consecutive days to close out the first half due to tightness in his left calf and hamstring. Those leg problems have not gone away.
According to Nick Kosmider of MLB.com, the Milwaukee slugger made an early exit from Saturday’s 8-7 victory over the Rockies after feeling renewed discomfort in both his calf and hammy.
Brewers manager Ron Roenicke assured reporters that Braun has not suffered a new injury, nor a major setback, and that he could return to the starting lineup for Sunday’s series finale at Coors Field.
“His leg just never loosened up much,” Roenicke said. “It just stayed sore on him, and instead of pushing him and keeping him out there, we decided it was better to get him out.”
Braun, however, painted a slightly different picture in his Saturday chat with scribes:
“I can’t run yet, to be honest with you,” he said. “I can’t run yet at all. I’m unable to run, so I just jog as quickly as I can whenever the situation warrants it. Whenever I can avoid running or putting any extra stress on it, I think that’s in my best interest and the team’s best interest.”
Braun, 27, went 0-for-3 on Friday and 0-for-3 on Saturday but still has a sparkling .947 OPS on the season.
UPDATE, 12:23 PM: No surprise here. Braun is not in the Brewers’ starting lineup on Sunday afternoon.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 35
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)