Jul 17, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
It is July 17. On this date in baseball history, Pittsburgh Pirates ace Babe Adams pitched an entire 21-inning game without issuing a walk (1914), Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak ended in front of 67,000 fans at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland (1941), Bob Gibson became the second pitcher in major league history to reach 3,000 career strikeouts (1974), and the Phillies traded prospects Adrian Cardenas, Josh Outman and Matthew Spencer to the A’s for right-hander Joe Blanton (2008).
Your Saturday box scores:
Angels 4, Athletics 2 (Game 1)
Angels 3, Athletics 4 (Game 2)
Also, check out up-to-the date MLB standings any time on NBCSports.com.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)