Jul 17, 2011, 8:47 AM EDT
It is July 17. On this date in baseball history, Pittsburgh Pirates ace Babe Adams pitched an entire 21-inning game without issuing a walk (1914), Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak ended in front of 67,000 fans at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland (1941), Bob Gibson became the second pitcher in major league history to reach 3,000 career strikeouts (1974), and the Phillies traded prospects Adrian Cardenas, Josh Outman and Matthew Spencer to the A’s for right-hander Joe Blanton (2008).
Your Saturday box scores:
Angels 4, Athletics 2 (Game 1)
Angels 3, Athletics 4 (Game 2)
Also, check out up-to-the date MLB standings any time on NBCSports.com.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 0
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)