Jul 17, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
It is July 17. On this date in baseball history, Pittsburgh Pirates ace Babe Adams pitched an entire 21-inning game without issuing a walk (1914), Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak ended in front of 67,000 fans at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland (1941), Bob Gibson became the second pitcher in major league history to reach 3,000 career strikeouts (1974), and the Phillies traded prospects Adrian Cardenas, Josh Outman and Matthew Spencer to the A’s for right-hander Joe Blanton (2008).
Your Saturday box scores:
Angels 4, Athletics 2 (Game 1)
Angels 3, Athletics 4 (Game 2)
Also, check out up-to-the date MLB standings any time on NBCSports.com.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27