Jul 17, 2011, 8:47 AM EST
It is July 17. On this date in baseball history, Pittsburgh Pirates ace Babe Adams pitched an entire 21-inning game without issuing a walk (1914), Joe DiMaggio’s 56-game hitting streak ended in front of 67,000 fans at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland (1941), Bob Gibson became the second pitcher in major league history to reach 3,000 career strikeouts (1974), and the Phillies traded prospects Adrian Cardenas, Josh Outman and Matthew Spencer to the A’s for right-hander Joe Blanton (2008).
Your Saturday box scores:
Angels 4, Athletics 2 (Game 1)
Angels 3, Athletics 4 (Game 2)
Also, check out up-to-the date MLB standings any time on NBCSports.com.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)