Jul 17, 2011, 5:06 PM EST
Via Joe Christensen and Amelia Rayno, beat writers with the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
The Twins have no plans to trade Michael Cuddyer this season even if they fall from contention, a team official said Friday, adding that an effort will be made to re-sign Cuddyer this fall.
Cuddyer is an impending free agent and has around $5 million remaining on his $10.5 million salary for 2011. Most fourth-place teams would be looking to dump his contract for a package of projectable young talent.
But Cuddyer has also been the Twins’ best hitter, and Minnesota entered Sunday’s action only six games back of the Indians in the American League Central. Trading him, in some ways, would be like throwing in the towel.
Cuddyer, 32, is batting .296/.372/.467 with 13 home runs and 44 RBI through 363 plate appearances this season. He did tell CBS Sports’ Scott Miller last month that he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)