Jul 18, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
We talked over the weekend about how low Jayson Werth could get. One possible answer: not as low as Adam Dunn, right? To see just how ugly* Dunn’s season has been, check out Brett Ballantini’s breakdown of it over at CSN Chicago. It’s pretty mind-blowing. There’s a Rob Deer comparison in there. And I think it may be insulting to Deer.
Dunn’s collapse has been more shocking than Werth’s, simply because Dunn had probably been the most consistent ballplayer in all of baseball these past few years. Really, if you had to place money on any individual player’s performance in 2011, you probably would have placed it on Dunn having a season more or less like his past few, wouldn’t you have? Especially with the move to a hitter-friendly park and a division with worse pitching than he’s seen in the National League East the past few years?
It’s one of the biggest cliches going, but baseball is a funny game. Out of nowhere this sort of stuff happens.
*I at first wrote “To see just how uggla Dunn’s season has been …” Which is interesting from a Freudian slip perspective, but in reality, is kind of unfair to Dan Uggla. If, in fact, anything one does to Dan Uggla short of summary execution could be considered unfair this year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (91)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)