Jul 18, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
We talked over the weekend about how low Jayson Werth could get. One possible answer: not as low as Adam Dunn, right? To see just how ugly* Dunn’s season has been, check out Brett Ballantini’s breakdown of it over at CSN Chicago. It’s pretty mind-blowing. There’s a Rob Deer comparison in there. And I think it may be insulting to Deer.
Dunn’s collapse has been more shocking than Werth’s, simply because Dunn had probably been the most consistent ballplayer in all of baseball these past few years. Really, if you had to place money on any individual player’s performance in 2011, you probably would have placed it on Dunn having a season more or less like his past few, wouldn’t you have? Especially with the move to a hitter-friendly park and a division with worse pitching than he’s seen in the National League East the past few years?
It’s one of the biggest cliches going, but baseball is a funny game. Out of nowhere this sort of stuff happens.
*I at first wrote “To see just how uggla Dunn’s season has been …” Which is interesting from a Freudian slip perspective, but in reality, is kind of unfair to Dan Uggla. If, in fact, anything one does to Dan Uggla short of summary execution could be considered unfair this year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)