Jul 18, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
We talked over the weekend about how low Jayson Werth could get. One possible answer: not as low as Adam Dunn, right? To see just how ugly* Dunn’s season has been, check out Brett Ballantini’s breakdown of it over at CSN Chicago. It’s pretty mind-blowing. There’s a Rob Deer comparison in there. And I think it may be insulting to Deer.
Dunn’s collapse has been more shocking than Werth’s, simply because Dunn had probably been the most consistent ballplayer in all of baseball these past few years. Really, if you had to place money on any individual player’s performance in 2011, you probably would have placed it on Dunn having a season more or less like his past few, wouldn’t you have? Especially with the move to a hitter-friendly park and a division with worse pitching than he’s seen in the National League East the past few years?
It’s one of the biggest cliches going, but baseball is a funny game. Out of nowhere this sort of stuff happens.
*I at first wrote “To see just how uggla Dunn’s season has been …” Which is interesting from a Freudian slip perspective, but in reality, is kind of unfair to Dan Uggla. If, in fact, anything one does to Dan Uggla short of summary execution could be considered unfair this year.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)