Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EDT
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.
“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”
Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”
If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown. No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade. Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)