Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EDT
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.
“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”
Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”
If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown. No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade. Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)