Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EDT
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.
“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”
Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”
If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown. No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade. Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)