Charlie Manuel wants a hitter and a reliever

Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EDT

Charlie Manuel Getty Images

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.

“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”

Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.

“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”

If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown.  No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade.  Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.

1. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 18, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Dr. Monkey- Were you on the mid day show with Anthony and Glen (Rob Ellis subbing for Glen) today? I heard a guy named Jimmy on there today preaching that Polanco should be the Phillies biggest concern and that the Phillies should go get Aramis Ramirez from the Cubs. My first thought was “drmonkeyarmy?”. Any hoo, about the post. Of course Cholly wants a bat & bullpen help. This isn’t news. Not that I don’t appreciate being filled in that Cholly is (again) asking for what he wants through the media, but I’m more interested in finding out who they get, if or when they get someone. It’s like going to PFT and seeing a post that readsd “Eagles want to win Super Bowl”.

2. SmackSaw - Jul 18, 2011 at 8:10 PM

“If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us.”

Good point, Charlie. Glad you cleared that up.

3. cup0pizza - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Yankees of the NL

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Oh, so the Yankees went for most of their lifetime being a low level team that has only recently become a decent team through bringing up players that through their farm systemand paying them a lot of cash for turning out to be the quality players they were expected to be. Yankees have always gone and bought players from other teams and have always been one of the best teams in baseball. The Phillies have had little success over the years until the last 4 or 5. Know what your talking about before you try to sound clever.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM

cup0pizza is a Dodger fan who trolls just about each and every Phightins post making some reference to either the payroll or cheering on injuries. Pay him no mind, time or breath. I’m thinking he might actually be Jonathan Broxton.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:12 PM

charlie could wish all he wants, the phils are broke, they wont be adding anyone thats going to matter no matter how much utley’s wart whines on here

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Ah…a troll from another bridge. I thought I smelled something putrid. How’s it going, harry? I see you still haven’t learned that new fangled punctuation.

It’s a shame you’re off your meds again.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:52 PM

They’ve been winning enough that they don’t really need to add anyone. And what sad team might you root for that all you can do is trash talk the current best team in baseball? I’ll give you credit for knowing that the Phillies ARE trying to stay under the luxury tax, as opposed to the Yankees. I wouldn’t say the Phillies are broke though, just playing things closer to their budget than they’d like. Wouldn’t put it past Ninja Amaro to pick up Hunter Pence while you sleep. I say that hoping that you’re an Astros fan. It seems a good guess, seeing how both you and they are so miserable that is.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM

He’s a Yanker fan.

5. cur68 - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:13 AM

I repeat; Wily Mo Pena is available…and 0pizza & dirtyharry both suck, like, mega.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM

…and not in a good way.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:15 AM

thats not what your sister said

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2895)