Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EDT
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.
“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”
Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”
If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown. No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade. Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 4
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 113
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 25
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39