Jul 18, 2011, 7:22 PM EST
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel has revealed his Christmas list early, CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports.
“We definitely could use a reliever, without a doubt,” Manuel said Monday. “But we also could use a bat.”
Manuel, though, doesn’t want GM Ruben Amaro Jr. to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
“I’m talking about a good one,” he said. “If we’re going to get somebody, I want somebody good that will help us. I don’t want someone we’ve already got. We could use a good hitter.”
If Manuel wants a starter, that wouldn’t seem to bode too well for rookie Domonic Brown. No one else in Philadelphia’s lineup is at all likely to be supplanted in a trade. Raul Ibanez might actually be the Phillies’ weakest link, but it’s doubtful he’ll be replaced.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)