Jul 18, 2011, 7:11 PM EDT
The AJC’s David O’Brien reports that Chipper Jones will begin playing in games with low Single-A Rome on Thursday in anticipation of a Monday return to Atlanta’s lineup.
Jones, who underwent knee surgery to repair a cartilage tear just nine days ago, is likely to DH on Thursday and Friday before playing some third base over the weekend. He’s eligible to come off the DL on Sunday, but the Braves will likely wait until they begin a homestand Monday to activate him.
In the meantime, the recently activated Martin Prado will continue to start at third base for the Braves. He’ll move back to left field after Chipper returns.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)