Jul 18, 2011, 7:11 PM EDT
The AJC’s David O’Brien reports that Chipper Jones will begin playing in games with low Single-A Rome on Thursday in anticipation of a Monday return to Atlanta’s lineup.
Jones, who underwent knee surgery to repair a cartilage tear just nine days ago, is likely to DH on Thursday and Friday before playing some third base over the weekend. He’s eligible to come off the DL on Sunday, but the Braves will likely wait until they begin a homestand Monday to activate him.
In the meantime, the recently activated Martin Prado will continue to start at third base for the Braves. He’ll move back to left field after Chipper returns.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 34
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'