Jul 18, 2011, 7:11 PM EDT
The AJC’s David O’Brien reports that Chipper Jones will begin playing in games with low Single-A Rome on Thursday in anticipation of a Monday return to Atlanta’s lineup.
Jones, who underwent knee surgery to repair a cartilage tear just nine days ago, is likely to DH on Thursday and Friday before playing some third base over the weekend. He’s eligible to come off the DL on Sunday, but the Braves will likely wait until they begin a homestand Monday to activate him.
In the meantime, the recently activated Martin Prado will continue to start at third base for the Braves. He’ll move back to left field after Chipper returns.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 39
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 40
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 26
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)