Jul 18, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Grady Sizemore was placed on the disabled list this morning after re-injuring his right knee yesterday and the Indians center fielder told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that “there’s a lot of concern” about his status.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after bruising the same knee back in May, but indicated that he thinks this injury is more significant and reminds him of the injury to his other knee that required microfracture surgery last year:
I just hope I don’t have to go through what I went through last year. It’s similar. It’s hard to say whether it’s the same. It’s definitely a concern. It’s the same area. Similar symptoms. It does feel a lot like it, but I can’t say for sure.
The initial injury, seems to be a slower progression. Even when I first injured [the left knee in 2010], I didn’t feel it right away. Then when I reinjured it, it was pretty much instant. The right knee was similar. In May, it took me a while to realize it was hurt. Sunday it was instant.
Cleveland will know more once Sizemore undergoes further testing today, but in the meantime it certainly doesn’t sound good.
Rather than shift Michael Brantley from left field to center field like he did last time Sizemore went down manager Manny Acta said that he’ll keep Brantley in left field and give rookie Ezequiel Carrera a shot as the primary center fielder. Shin-Soo Choo is also on the DL with a broken thumb, so the Indians are probably in the market for some outfield help as they cling to first place in the AL Central.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)