Jul 18, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Grady Sizemore was placed on the disabled list this morning after re-injuring his right knee yesterday and the Indians center fielder told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that “there’s a lot of concern” about his status.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after bruising the same knee back in May, but indicated that he thinks this injury is more significant and reminds him of the injury to his other knee that required microfracture surgery last year:
I just hope I don’t have to go through what I went through last year. It’s similar. It’s hard to say whether it’s the same. It’s definitely a concern. It’s the same area. Similar symptoms. It does feel a lot like it, but I can’t say for sure.
The initial injury, seems to be a slower progression. Even when I first injured [the left knee in 2010], I didn’t feel it right away. Then when I reinjured it, it was pretty much instant. The right knee was similar. In May, it took me a while to realize it was hurt. Sunday it was instant.
Cleveland will know more once Sizemore undergoes further testing today, but in the meantime it certainly doesn’t sound good.
Rather than shift Michael Brantley from left field to center field like he did last time Sizemore went down manager Manny Acta said that he’ll keep Brantley in left field and give rookie Ezequiel Carrera a shot as the primary center fielder. Shin-Soo Choo is also on the DL with a broken thumb, so the Indians are probably in the market for some outfield help as they cling to first place in the AL Central.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)