Jul 18, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Grady Sizemore was placed on the disabled list this morning after re-injuring his right knee yesterday and the Indians center fielder told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that “there’s a lot of concern” about his status.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after bruising the same knee back in May, but indicated that he thinks this injury is more significant and reminds him of the injury to his other knee that required microfracture surgery last year:
I just hope I don’t have to go through what I went through last year. It’s similar. It’s hard to say whether it’s the same. It’s definitely a concern. It’s the same area. Similar symptoms. It does feel a lot like it, but I can’t say for sure.
The initial injury, seems to be a slower progression. Even when I first injured [the left knee in 2010], I didn’t feel it right away. Then when I reinjured it, it was pretty much instant. The right knee was similar. In May, it took me a while to realize it was hurt. Sunday it was instant.
Cleveland will know more once Sizemore undergoes further testing today, but in the meantime it certainly doesn’t sound good.
Rather than shift Michael Brantley from left field to center field like he did last time Sizemore went down manager Manny Acta said that he’ll keep Brantley in left field and give rookie Ezequiel Carrera a shot as the primary center fielder. Shin-Soo Choo is also on the DL with a broken thumb, so the Indians are probably in the market for some outfield help as they cling to first place in the AL Central.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)