Jul 18, 2011, 1:35 PM EDT
Mark Runsvold has been reading and commenting on HBT since its inception and before that was reading my old blog, Shysterball. I always knew he was rather bright based on his comments, but I had no idea that he was going to do something like win $48K in one day on Jeopardy!
But that’s what he did on Friday, his first day on the show. I’m told it was a single-day record, but I couldn’t confirm that, mostly because Jeopardy! fan sites scare the living crap out of me.
Mark is back tonight to defend his title, so check your local listings. Of course this was all taped back in March so it wouldn’t do too much good to wish him good luck, but I’m sure you’ll think of something. As a trivia nerd whose one attempt to get on Jeopardy! ended in failure — 1997; I passed the test but sort of wigged the talent search people out because I was fidgety on the buzzer during the practice game — I choose to use Mark’s run, however long it lasts, as a vicarious sort of experience. The marriage proposals included.
Oh, and Mark: if you get “baseball” as a category and you don’t get every clue correct, well, we’re just going to pretend that we don’t know you.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming