Jul 18, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
In addition to that trip to Kings Island I mentioned in the recaps, the weekend also included a trip to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game Saturday night. I’m totally the father of the year. I didn’t even beat my children when they got tired out in the bottom of the fifth inning, causing us to be those people who leave games early.
Sadly, leaving when I did caused me to miss Nick Johnson hitting a home run. But hey, it was enough to see him alive, uninjured and functioning for a couple at bats before that. It’s not something one sees very often.
But that wasn’t even the best thing of the evening. No, that was learning that Jason Donald comes to the plate with “Lick it Up” by Kiss playing. Interesting choice.
In other weekend news:
- If Joe West and Angel Hernandez can’t stay together, what hope do any of the rest of us have?
- The Rockies’ asking price for Ubaldo Jimenez suggests that he poops gold bullion or something.
- Jayson Werth is approaching rock bottom.
- Jeff Baker: untouchable.
- Mike Quade has seen enough Carlos Marmol closing ballgames.
- Same for Ron Gardenhire and Matt Capps.
- J.J. Hardy gets a three-year extension. Here’s hoping he can stay in the lineup.
- And now for something completely different.
- Clay Buchholz is gonna be out for a while.
- The Rays were in on K-Rod? OK.
- Derek Lowe rumors here, Wilson Betemit rumors there, Josh Willingham rumors too. Yep, it’s getting to be late July.
- As long as no one else gets their career ended by a kick to the head, I’m all for the Reds-Cardinals rivalry continuing to intensify.
Now let’s get this week started.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 25
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 85
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)