Jul 18, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
In addition to that trip to Kings Island I mentioned in the recaps, the weekend also included a trip to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game Saturday night. I’m totally the father of the year. I didn’t even beat my children when they got tired out in the bottom of the fifth inning, causing us to be those people who leave games early.
Sadly, leaving when I did caused me to miss Nick Johnson hitting a home run. But hey, it was enough to see him alive, uninjured and functioning for a couple at bats before that. It’s not something one sees very often.
But that wasn’t even the best thing of the evening. No, that was learning that Jason Donald comes to the plate with “Lick it Up” by Kiss playing. Interesting choice.
In other weekend news:
- If Joe West and Angel Hernandez can’t stay together, what hope do any of the rest of us have?
- The Rockies’ asking price for Ubaldo Jimenez suggests that he poops gold bullion or something.
- Jayson Werth is approaching rock bottom.
- Jeff Baker: untouchable.
- Mike Quade has seen enough Carlos Marmol closing ballgames.
- Same for Ron Gardenhire and Matt Capps.
- J.J. Hardy gets a three-year extension. Here’s hoping he can stay in the lineup.
- And now for something completely different.
- Clay Buchholz is gonna be out for a while.
- The Rays were in on K-Rod? OK.
- Derek Lowe rumors here, Wilson Betemit rumors there, Josh Willingham rumors too. Yep, it’s getting to be late July.
- As long as no one else gets their career ended by a kick to the head, I’m all for the Reds-Cardinals rivalry continuing to intensify.
Now let’s get this week started.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)