HBT Weekend Wrapup

Jul 18, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

Nick Johnson

In addition to that trip to Kings Island I mentioned in the recaps, the weekend also included a trip to the Columbus Clippers-Indianapolis Indians game Saturday night.  I’m totally the father of the year.  I didn’t even beat my children when they got tired out in the bottom of the fifth inning, causing us to be those people who leave games early.

Sadly, leaving when I did caused me to miss Nick Johnson hitting a home run.  But hey, it was enough to see him alive, uninjured and functioning for a couple at bats before that. It’s not something one sees very often.

But that wasn’t even the best thing of the evening. No, that was learning that Jason Donald comes to the plate with “Lick it Up” by Kiss playing.  Interesting choice.

In other weekend news:

Now let’s get this week started.

1. kiwicricket - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM

“If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me… I am no longer infected.”

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:15 AM

And did you miss the Braves fan running all over the field in a wedding dress over the weekend? This would be “Major national news” had it happened in Philadelphia.

• kiwicricket - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Jonny- Guy or a girl???

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:29 AM

He was a man. And he should be told about mixing running sneakers with long dresses. It just doesn’t go.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Jonny- Did he get a pie-in-the-face after his walkoff?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM

No, but the police were quoted calling him fruitcake and cupcake. And we all know brides get the cake in the face anyway don’t they?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Where was Heyward?

3. FC - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Jayson Werth: Adrian Gonzalez money for Jayson Bay performance… oh how the mighty have fallen… Still he has the whole 2nd half of the season to right his ship.

4. djwhite2710 - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Haha. I was at the game Saturday night and I saw a guy that looked like you (but I wasn’t sure) and I almost walked up and said hi…than decided its probably weird for somebody to walk up and say something to the affect of “Hi…I think we are internet friends”. Lol.

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Oh well. If it ever happens again, by all means, say hi! Someone did that out in Arizona back in spring training and it made my day.

Although, given that I was laden with both kids and no wife, I was sort of frazzled, so I couldn’t guarantee that I would have been a great conversationalist.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3628)