Jul 18, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
He needs a little polish on the bases. But that’s because he has not had that much experience. I gave him the steal sign one night a while back and he stood there standing up. I was like, “Get in position to steal.” All of a sudden, boom! He steals it easy. This guy has so much explosive speed. His first step, you can’t believe.
I told him, “You can be a 30/30 guy, easy.” I’ve just got to sell him on the idea that this is what you’ve got to do.
I realize McKeon can do no wrong right now, but when it comes to Stanton why exactly is that “what you’ve got to do”?
For one thing, a very athletic 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds is still 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, which makes attempting 30-plus steals per season an injury waiting to happen. For another thing, Stanton has eight steals in 189 games for the Marlins and he’s been thrown out four times. He also never ran much in the minors, stealing a grand total of eight bases in 324 games.
I’m all for young players becoming more well-rounded and certainly Stanton becoming a better, more efficient base-stealer could benefit the Marlins, but asking a 21-year-old, 6-foot-5 slugger to do something he’s never done before is a whole lot of risk for not much payoff. He’s much better off being a 40/5 guy than trying to join the 30/30 club.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)