Jul 18, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Julio Borbon is expected to be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing “left ankle ligament repair surgery” on Monday.
Borbon injured his ankle on a slide into second base on July 8 while playing with Triple-A Round Rock. He fractured the very same ankle in 2007 when he was a senior at the University of Tennessee.
While Borbon has an underwhelming .284/.324/.358 batting line over 745 career major league plate appearances, the Rangers were hoping a strong performance in the minors could pump up his value before the trade deadline. While there’s still a chance that he could rejoin the Rangers as a September call-up, his lengthy absence will effectively put any deal on the back burner.
The Rangers appear satisfied with a tandem of Endy Chavez and Craig Gentry in center field, but top prospect Leonys Martin could eventually be a consideration with the big club. The Cuban outfielder is 8-for-20 (.400) with one double, one RBI and two runs scored over five games since being promoted to Triple-A Round Rock earlier this month.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)