Jul 18, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Julio Borbon is expected to be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing “left ankle ligament repair surgery” on Monday.
Borbon injured his ankle on a slide into second base on July 8 while playing with Triple-A Round Rock. He fractured the very same ankle in 2007 when he was a senior at the University of Tennessee.
While Borbon has an underwhelming .284/.324/.358 batting line over 745 career major league plate appearances, the Rangers were hoping a strong performance in the minors could pump up his value before the trade deadline. While there’s still a chance that he could rejoin the Rangers as a September call-up, his lengthy absence will effectively put any deal on the back burner.
The Rangers appear satisfied with a tandem of Endy Chavez and Craig Gentry in center field, but top prospect Leonys Martin could eventually be a consideration with the big club. The Cuban outfielder is 8-for-20 (.400) with one double, one RBI and two runs scored over five games since being promoted to Triple-A Round Rock earlier this month.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)