Jul 18, 2011, 8:05 PM EDT
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Julio Borbon is expected to be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing “left ankle ligament repair surgery” on Monday.
Borbon injured his ankle on a slide into second base on July 8 while playing with Triple-A Round Rock. He fractured the very same ankle in 2007 when he was a senior at the University of Tennessee.
While Borbon has an underwhelming .284/.324/.358 batting line over 745 career major league plate appearances, the Rangers were hoping a strong performance in the minors could pump up his value before the trade deadline. While there’s still a chance that he could rejoin the Rangers as a September call-up, his lengthy absence will effectively put any deal on the back burner.
The Rangers appear satisfied with a tandem of Endy Chavez and Craig Gentry in center field, but top prospect Leonys Martin could eventually be a consideration with the big club. The Cuban outfielder is 8-for-20 (.400) with one double, one RBI and two runs scored over five games since being promoted to Triple-A Round Rock earlier this month.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)