Jul 18, 2011, 8:05 PM EST
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Julio Borbon is expected to be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing “left ankle ligament repair surgery” on Monday.
Borbon injured his ankle on a slide into second base on July 8 while playing with Triple-A Round Rock. He fractured the very same ankle in 2007 when he was a senior at the University of Tennessee.
While Borbon has an underwhelming .284/.324/.358 batting line over 745 career major league plate appearances, the Rangers were hoping a strong performance in the minors could pump up his value before the trade deadline. While there’s still a chance that he could rejoin the Rangers as a September call-up, his lengthy absence will effectively put any deal on the back burner.
The Rangers appear satisfied with a tandem of Endy Chavez and Craig Gentry in center field, but top prospect Leonys Martin could eventually be a consideration with the big club. The Cuban outfielder is 8-for-20 (.400) with one double, one RBI and two runs scored over five games since being promoted to Triple-A Round Rock earlier this month.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)