Jul 18, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Adams told Dan Hayes of the North County Times that he applied for a passport at the suggestion of his agent in case he’s traded to an American League team and has to travel to Toronto.
And the 32-year-old right-hander also said he’s more worried about how his wife would handle a trade:
I think the main person it affects is probably my wife because of the uncertainty. And if we do have to leave, she’s the one who has to do all the work as far as packing up the family and moving alone.
Adams’ situation is particularly interesting because he’ll be the most desirable non-closer reliever being shopped prior to the July 31 trade deadline, but will take over as the Padres’ closer if he remains in San Diego and Bell is dealt. Depending on what happens he’s either a couple weeks from being on a new team or becoming much more well-known thanks to a role change with his old team.
Either way, with a 1.70 ERA, .177 opponents’ batting average, and 234 strikeouts in 212 career innings for the Padres he’s deserving of a lot more attention.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (116)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)