Mike Adams applied for a passport in case he’s traded to AL

Jul 18, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

Mike Adams

San Diego is one-stop shopping for contending teams in need of bullpen help, with closer Heath Bell and setup men Mike Adams and Chad Qualls rumored to be on the trading block.

Adams told Dan Hayes of the North County Times that he applied for a passport at the suggestion of his agent in case he’s traded to an American League team and has to travel to Toronto.

And the 32-year-old right-hander also said he’s more worried about how his wife would handle a trade:

I think the main person it affects is probably my wife because of the uncertainty. And if we do have to leave, she’s the one who has to do all the work as far as packing up the family and moving alone.

Adams’ situation is particularly interesting because he’ll be the most desirable non-closer reliever being shopped prior to the July 31 trade deadline, but will take over as the Padres’ closer if he remains in San Diego and Bell is dealt. Depending on what happens he’s either a couple weeks from being on a new team or becoming much more well-known thanks to a role change with his old team.

Either way, with a 1.70 ERA, .177 opponents’ batting average, and 234 strikeouts in 212 career innings for the Padres he’s deserving of a lot more attention.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

You can get a passport in about 24 hours if you pay the extra fees (about $500 total). He is making $2.5MM this season, so he could afford that, plus movers. I think he’ll be OK.

2. Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

He doesn’t need a passport to come to Philly.

• derekjetersmansion - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Contrary to popular belief…

• spudchukar - Jul 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

True, but personally I would advise he get his shots.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Yeah, we don’t want him spreading anything San Diegan around here.

• bleedgreen - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM

San Diego Chicken Flu is a hell of a disease.

• kiwicricket - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Nice

3. natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Growing up in Western New York, not far from the Canadian border, I recall that the biggest concern was Americans smuggling Canadian beer across the border.

Now, you need a passport. This is what the world has come to.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Americans do not need a passport to get into Canada; however, the USA made it difficult for US citizens to return to their own country unless they had a passport.

• larryhockett - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM

You do need one if you arrive via airplane. At least you did about 12 or 13 years ago when I thought my drivers license was sufficient but was corrected by the fine folks at Toronto’s airport who directed me to Immigration. That process only took a mere three hours or so of my life that I’ll never get back.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Strange. I guess that they thought that you were a potential illegal immigrant.

• natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Sounds like, as a practical matter, you need a passport. Unless you’re defecting or something, and don’t plan to return to the US.

Seems Adams isn’t taking any chances.

4. foreverchipper10 - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM

MMMMMMM poutine.

5. Ryan Lansing - Jul 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Doesn’t it seem strange that he doesn’t already have one? Millionaire, several months off of work every year, already travels by plane a lot… You’d think he’d have at least spent a long weekend in Cancun or something.

6. sherribowers - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Nice Article. I just now got Coupons of my Favorite Brands at “Printapon” search online and start saving now

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet