Jul 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
The good news is that it was Sizemore’s left knee that caused him to miss most of last season and the beginning of this year following microfracture surgery, and the Indians are calling his current right knee injury merely a bruise. However, he left the team and traveled back to Cleveland to undergo further tests.
Sizemore has played pretty well in between the injuries, posting a .769 OPS that ranks 10th among all MLB center fielders with at least 50 games, but his .237 batting average and ugly 75/17 K/BB ratio are worrisome and at some point all the knee problems may put in question his ability to remain in center field defensively.
Michael Brantley filled in for Sizemore last time and will do so again now, sliding from left field to center field, but with right fielder Shin-Soo Choo also on the DL with a broken thumb the Indians may be forced to make regulars out of Ezequiel Carrera and Travis Buck or Austin Kearns.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)