Jul 18, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
The good news is that it was Sizemore’s left knee that caused him to miss most of last season and the beginning of this year following microfracture surgery, and the Indians are calling his current right knee injury merely a bruise. However, he left the team and traveled back to Cleveland to undergo further tests.
Sizemore has played pretty well in between the injuries, posting a .769 OPS that ranks 10th among all MLB center fielders with at least 50 games, but his .237 batting average and ugly 75/17 K/BB ratio are worrisome and at some point all the knee problems may put in question his ability to remain in center field defensively.
Michael Brantley filled in for Sizemore last time and will do so again now, sliding from left field to center field, but with right fielder Shin-Soo Choo also on the DL with a broken thumb the Indians may be forced to make regulars out of Ezequiel Carrera and Travis Buck or Austin Kearns.
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 12
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 39
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 38
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)