Nolan Ryan hospitalized with chest pains

Jul 18, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT

Ryan Ventura

This photo is a representation of what I assume Nolan Ryan is going to evetually do to any cardiac issues that dare mess with him. In the meantime, hold a good thought for Ryan, who was hospitalized in Houston today after experiencing chest pains at his home.

Ryan has a history of heart trouble, having undergone a double bypass in 2000.  For now he is undergoing tests and is expected to be released in the next few days.
  1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Good luck and God’s speed Mr. Ryan. Make that cardiac issue your b!tch.

2. jeffa43 - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

You were always real kind to our family, we will all be praying for you…

Get well, and we expect an “express” recovery. You are the best Nolan.

3. halladaysbiceps - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Not sure I understand the comparison between Nolan going into the hospital for chest pains and the picture of him fighting Robin Ventura, but I hope that his health condition is not serious. Mr. Ryan, you have been an ambassodor to the great game of baseball. I hope you feel well soon.

• aceshigh11 - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Craig is suggesting that Nola Ryan will beat his cardiac issues to a pulp, much like he did with Ventura.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

This is heartfelt commentary…to the 6 people that thumbed down my comment…go “F” yourself and get a life…seriously…you are not baseball fans. Go to profootballtalk.com and be gone.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

The Chest pains reportedly happened right after Ryan found out what the Nats wanted for Tyler Clippard…….

5. sprest83 - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Who are these clowns that use the thumbs down for some of these posts?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

You want to know who these clowns are, it’s simple. They see a button and push it. They are a disgrace. Instead of joining the conversation, they read these articles and pass judgement without question. It’s as simple as that.

6. theonlynolan - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I have that picture framed and autographed hanging in my living room which always makes me laugh. And as someone born with a heart condition I hope it’s nothing serious and he makes a quick and full recovery.

7. SmackSaw - Jul 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

My first sports hero. Get well Nolan.

8. cur68 - Jul 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM

He’s been needing to lose some weight for a while now. I hope this urges him to get in better shape. Baseball really needs Nolan Ryan around. Good luck Mr. Ryan.

• Old Gator - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM

It’s funny, but I was looking at that photo of him sitting in his box seat with his arms crossed over his chest and that profound panniculus obscuring his belt over the weeking and thinking the same thing. I can still remember him as a scrawny kid pitching for the Mutts.

Am I dating myself? Probably, but at my age I’m lucky if I can even talk myself into accompanying me to a movie and dinner.

• cur68 - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, he’s been a cardiac condition poster-boy for a while now. Its funny but the same characteristics that allowed him to pitch with velocity into his 40’s are what’s harming him now; broad shoulders, muscle carrying frame and a disciplined work ethic. Now he’s gaining weight around the middle (typical of guys built like him), hasn’t modified his calorie intake enough, and spending way too much time in meetings sitting and making decisions. He needs to drastically cut back on his calories, ease into aerobic work and keep his blood pressure low. None of that’s easy but it beats a heart attack.

• APBA Guy - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM

There are enough medical guys on the site to support your position, as Cur does, but after 40 the latest research is that calorie intake makes a greater contribution to weight and heart health than exercise, though exercise is still an important factor. I’m sure his doctors are telling him what Cur is saying. Best wishes to Nolan.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

As I sit here and eat a fist sized piece of tiramisu……… Ugghhh.. Making up for eating a tomato sandwich for lunch.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I’ve been think that for awhile. Hope he gets better. And he certainly has all the resources at his disposal to accomplish that.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Cur, what if he was to get a hold of Ventura and actually tear his heart out. How long would this heart remain viable zip locked in a cooler of ice?

9. projectshadow316 - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM

It’s Nolan ****ing Ryan. Do the chest pains not understand who they’re messing with?

Regardless, I sincerely hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3481)