Placido Polanco will likely receive epidural injection for ailing lower back

Jul 18, 2011, 8:58 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that Placido Polanco will likely receive an epidural injection due to lingering pain from the bulging disc in his lower back.

“The idea was thrown out by the doctors in Philly,” Polanco said late Monday afternoon. “They say they really help. I’ve tried rest and medication. I’m at the point where I think I’ll have the injection. It’s still sore.”

According to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Enquirer, Polanco could receive the shot as soon as Thursday when the team returns home. The 35-year-old third baseman is eligible to return from the disabled list on Wednesday, though he obviously won’t be back any time soon.

Polanco hasn’t played since July 4, but the injury has hampered his production for a number of weeks now. After beginning the season with a .398 batting average in April, he’s batting just .216/.276/.261 with two homers and a .537 OPS since the start of May.

1. Old Gator - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Hell, if you’re going to go as far as an epidural, why not go all the way and give him an episiotomy as well? That should help him stretch for a relay more effectively on his next 4-6-3 double play.

• bjavie - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Polanco no longer plays 4, he plays 5 for the Phils. The only time he would stretch on a 4-6-3 double play is if he were the batter and trying to beat out the 6-3 throw.

• Old Gator - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I was speaking metaphorically. Why jap his versatility when he’s still so…eh…young?

2. cup0pizza - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Dumb.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Which is dumb? You or your comment?

• CJ - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Umm….yes?

3. macjacmccoy - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Getting epidural has no lingering effects . Ive had 4 of them in the last 5 years and I’ve went to work doing construction that very day after 2 of them and the next day after the other 2. And the only reason I had to wait to the next day twice is bc my doctors appointment was in the afternoon.

Getting an epidural done doesnt mean hes going to be out longer if anything it will get him back sooner. They really do help and they make it so much easier to labor intensive work. Like construction or swinging a bat.

• D.J. Short - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I can’t speak from experience like you can with these sort of things, but I’m guessing the Phillies will want him to play a couple rehab games first. Next week is possible I guess, but I’m merely speculating.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Translation….His done, stick a fork in him, game, season, career, OVER

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3740)