Red Sox beat Rays 1-0 in 16 innings

Jul 18, 2011, 2:48 AM EDT

Josh Reddick AP

After a pair of high-scoring games to start the series, the Red Sox and Rays put on a show of offensive ineptitude Sunday night, with Boston winning 1-0 in 16 innings.

It was the longest 1-0 game since the Brewers beat the Angels 1-0 on June 8, 2004, though the Mets and Cardinals played 18 scoreless innings before New York beat St. Louis 2-1 in 20 innings on April 17, 2010.  The Red Sox were on the losing end of a similar contest two years ago.  They fell 2-0 to the Yankees in 15 innings on Aug. 7, 2009.

The team’s combined to bat .078, which is even lower than Adam Dunn‘s average this season.  The Red Sox were 5-for-52, while the Rays went 3-for-50.  Dustin Pedroia had three of Boston’s hits, including the go-ahead single that plated Josh Reddick in the 16th.

The starting pitchers were stellar, of course.  Josh Beckett, who left his last start in the first half with a hyperextended knee, pitched eight innings of one-hit ball.  Jeff Niemann allowed two hits while also going eight innings.  He fanned 10 tonight after failing to strike out more than six in any of his previous 10 starts this season.

It looked like Boston would go ahead in the 11th, but after three straight walks to start the frame, Reddick and Jason Varitek both struck out and Marco Scutaro popped out foul to the catcher.

The Red Sox walked 12 times in all.  They left 17 runners on base to the Rays’ six.

By winning two out of three this weekend, the Red Sox opened a seven-game gap on the Rays in the standings.  The Yankees are in second place in the AL East, 1 1/2 games back of Boston.

1. fearlessleader - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:55 AM

“It was the longest any game had gone scoreless since the Brewers beat the Angels 1-0 on June 8, 2004….”

Actually, the Cardinals and Mets took a scoreless tie to the 19th on April 17th of last year. But I do appreciate your effort to help me (and the rest of Cardinal Nation) forget it. :)

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:09 AM

Whoops. I forgot to account for that possibility in my search. I looked for really long games that ended in a shutout.

I’ve updated the story now.

2. rollinghighwayblues - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM

I watched every inning of this one, the last four or five innings I was in a delirious state as I was laughing out loud all alone as the Red Sox hitters simply could not find a way to get a run across.
    Even the Red Sox dugout looked like they had cabin fever; Beckett with his Maddux-length socks, everyone sporting a rally cap, Daniel Bard drumming the dugout rafters with tarp stakes…but I guess if I had to watch 16 innings of 5 hour 44 minute ball at The Trop Dump in one sitting, I’d act a little crazy too.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:34 AM

The trop is far from a dump. It is a nice place. It is just a dump compared to the rest of the taxpayer funded ballparks. Tampa/St Pete is too smart to spend a half billion dollars to build a second stadium. The cities who spend money on ballparks ALWAYS lose. That money is never regained. How many failing schools does Miami have? Yet they have built a brand new public facility that will be rented cheaply to one corporation. If GM wants a new plant, they dont get taxpayers to pay for a state of the art warehouse that will attract free agent designers and welders. Yet that is what sports teams expect from taxpayers.

The Trop is a nice place. Anyone who says its a dump has never been there. It unfortunately is the Lexus parked in the driveway with Ferarris. If the Rays want a Ferrari, let them buy it.

• dan1111 - Jul 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM

I agree 100% with your rant about taxpayer financing of ballparks.

That said, I have been to a couple of games there, and it is not a very nice place to watch a baseball game (in my opinion). Nor is this because they received less taxpayer financing than others. Tropicana field might be the ultimate taxpayer boondoggle, as it was built by the city of St. Petersburg long before they even had a baseball team, in hopes of attracting one.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I love going to games there. I have been to Old Yankee Stadium, Coors Field, Joe Robbie (Miami), Fenway, Fulton County (Old Atlanta), Turner (New Atlanta) and the Astrodome. Of the ones I mentioned, only Turner and Coors were built in the last 15 years, so I really dont have much to base my opinion on, but I have found it clean and comfortable.

What specifically makes the Trop less than desirable? It has the Ted Williams museum, the aquaruarium, air conditioning, close seating, padded seats and cheap food. The food part I learned my first time there. We ate just outside the stadium to avoid the extra cost. Fish tacos=22$. We went inside and could have had a sitdown meal pre game for Carrabas prices at a TGIFridays like restaurant.

I really dont understand what is wrong with it. Upper deck tickets were $8, and close parking in a secure lot was $5. If I had 20 bucks in my wallet and had my choice between going to see the 12th installment of the latest Harry potter movie with a gallon of popcorn, or getting a dog and watching the reigning AL east champs…..I’ll see ya at the Trop.

• dan1111 - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I don’t find the atmosphere at Tropicana Field nearly as nice as other parks. Baseball doesn’t feel right in a dome, but beyond that, the Trop seems like a particularly poor dome. Catwalks and the white roof interfere with play. It is dim inside and feels dingy. The food and amenities don’t seem as nice as other recent parks. It isn’t in a nice area, and it’s far from downtown Tampa.

Yes, it is good value. And a baseball game is still a baseball game. I would rather go see the Rays than do most things. But it doesn’t compare to, say, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PNC_Park,_Home_of_Pittsburgh_Pirates.jpg

• hystoracle - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Dan1111 – They aren’t putting an open air stadium in Tampa. Nor should you want them too.. A dome is the only way to go. 1. It was 90+ degrees in April – now it’s 95+ and almost 80 at night with 85-100% humidity. 2. It rains (with lightning) most afternoons – which isn’t conducive to playing baseball let alone watching it. Neither of those conditions are going to change much until October when Baseball is over.

Though outdoor parks are pretty – it isn’t practical in Tampa – I know I don’t want to sit outside for 3 hours watching baseball in this heat. Maybe something like they have in milwaukee is more appropriate.

3. Ari Collins - Jul 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM

“offensive ineptitude” or just great clutch pitching on both sides?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Well, maybe clutch pitching for the Sawx, but, with 12 walks, including loading the bases on walks prior to the first out tells me that offensive ineptitude had something to do with it, also.

• hystoracle - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM

With the Rays, offensive ineptitude is just another day at the office. It’s become the expected norm.

4. hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:17 AM

As a Rays fan, this was painful. We rely on pitching and defense to win games, but a little bit of offense is necessary with that philosophy. Shields lost a 1-0 game 4 games ago to the yankees, with the run being unearned. We lost tonight despite piching 14 2/3 scoreless innings. Our offense is terrible, and we start a SS and catcher who both hit sub .200.

This problem isnt new either. We started the year 0 and 6 even though we had good pitching. It has gone on all season, and yet we have done nothing. We have 3 of the top 10 prospects, and 7 of the top 50 overall. On top of that, we have just drafted 8 of the top 60 amateur players in the country. We lost Burrell’s, Crawford’s, Soriano’s, Balfour’s and Mannys salaries this season, so we have some money to spend. If we gave up 50% of our top prospects, we would still be in better shape of the majority of clubs. We have a stacked minors program, and garbage at the major level. That is what it…garbage. Longo and Zobrist are the only 2 players we have who would start on either the Sox or Yankees. And with Longos terrible season, I doubt either Youk or Arod gets benched for him.

Yet we have a winning record, and are still in striking distance. We need a bat. We need a big bat. We need an expensive bat. I dont see the problem with giving up some young arms for Beltran or Reyes or any upgrade at SS or C. Carlos Pena is probably a relatively cheap chip that could be had. I dont care how good the pitching and defensive is. If you get shut out twice in 4 games, at best you are a .500 club. Make a move Friedman. How long are you going to let Desmond Jennings have a career year at AAA while you let our left fielders hit .220 with 4 combined homeruns.

• loljfh - Jul 18, 2011 at 8:30 AM

SERIOUSLY? Pena? Like we need another .220 hitter? Our offense is garbage and I agree with almost everything else you have said, but Pena? I am sure we can get an outfielder with some pop, but why take away a .340 hitter in Kotchman playing tremendous 1B for Pena – the same guy everyone was tired of watching strikout last year?? I think we can get Balfour back now that he is healthy and his contract is pretty friendly to Stu and company, get rid of Ramos or Russell. Bay, Beltran, Francouer (gulp) in OF – no to Rasmuss. Throw in a Wade Davis, call up Alex Cobb to take his spot in rotation, add a BJ Upton as well and let Fuld or jennings roam CF.

• loljfh - Jul 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Ooops! I did not mean to forget about our obvious lack of SS or C. Although S-Rod would be nice as an everyday player in 6 hole and with everything else we could probably make do without another catcher if team is smart everywhere else. Surely Jaso/Shopp/Chirinos/Lobaton can get to .220 collectively and not continue to be so inept.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Pena is a .220 hitter, but he has hit 22 jacks in the last month and a half. We struggled more last year when he was hurt than Crawford. Im not saying he is better than Crawford, but his RBI’s are desperately missed. Kotchmann has been great, but I dont expect it to last. Joyce was a .350 hitter a moth ago, now he’s a .280 hitter. Fuld was a .350 hitter in April. Now he’s a .230 hitter. Kotchmann is playing over his head, and if I told you I think he will end the season over .300 with 15 homers, I’d be lying.

Pena came to mind because he is on a 1 year contract, and will make 5 mil for the rest of the season. If we pick that up, we could get him for an obscure minor leaguer. If we throw in a top 100, the Cubs will likely pick up his remaining salary. I would rather have Pena’s bat today, than a middle reliever in 2013.

Basically I was arguing for getting a power/rbi guy. I knew of Pena’s capabilties and availability. I dont know of another 40hr/100rbi guy available that we can afford. Im not stuck on Pena, but I am stuck on upgrades.

I agree on Rasmuss. That bum can keep complaining to the St Louis media before he brings his primadona “Im supposed to be good” attitude to disrupt our clubhouse.

• hystoracle - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM

hittfamily – Pena also is playing in a ball park that is highly effected by wind conditions. When the wind is blowing out at Wrigley a pop up to the second baseman becomes a home run. So there is no lock that those homer numbers would be realized in the trop. The .220 average isn’t something we need. We need a consistent bat (.275 or better) that can come through in the clutch.. the problem is the team is full of .200 – .220 hitters who are unreliable. Hell, we have two guys playing almost every day hitting under .200. What is that? You can have all the defense you want, but if you can’t score runs you won’t win. You will be watching the Playoffs along with the Orioles’ fans.

• hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Kotchmann has 285 PA’s and 28 RBI’s. I dont care what his batting average is, he is a downgrade from almost any other first baseman. “Hystorical”, you are replying to my post, to which I was replying to another post, to which he was replying to my original post. I said we start 2 sub .200 hitters. We need to find upgrades. First base is the cheapest place to find power and RBI’s, so it makes most sense to upgrade that. Pena was an example of a cheap homerun and RBI machine. Obviously I’d rather have Pujols or Prince, but I doubt they are available. The only player I know of that will get 100 rbis and hit 30 homers that is available is Pena.

5. frankvzappa - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM

What a terrifying game. I woke up at 5 in the morning in a cold sweat thinking that it was still on and still scoreless. Man what a nightmare.

6. Utley's Hair - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM

So, it took 5:44 for a game that had eight total hits, a 1-0 final score, 16 innings and 13 total walks. Add less than a half hour (27 minutes) and three more innings, and the Phightins won a 5-4 game with 20 more hits and the same number of walks. That’s just incredible. And they say baseball games take too long. Imagine if this had been a Yankers-BooSux game—they’d still be playing, and it might still be the 16th inning.

7. spudchukar - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Yes, it is doubtful that the Rays can overtake both the Yankees and Red Sox, but one thing is certain, they will die trying. I endured this marathon, and left wondering if there was ever a game so long with so few hits and runs. Brignac is continuing to struggle, he looks lost at this point, and with Rodriguez not contributing much, the offensively challenged Rays cannot support a good field, no hit SS. The bright spot is Niemann, best outing in a long time.

Even when coming up short, it sure is a pleasure watching the Rays torture the likes of New York and Boston.

All the trade deadline news to know