Red Sox, Rays, Nats have called the Cardinals about Colby Rasmus

Jul 18, 2011, 5:40 PM EDT

Colby Rasmus AP

Cardinals GM John Mozeliak — totally disregarding Drew’s sound advice — says that Colby Rasmus is not being shopped and says a trade of their young center fielder and his father is not likely.  That’s not stopping teams from inquiring, however, as Jon Heyman reports that the Red Sox, Rays and Nationals have all called the Cards about Rasmus.

I tend to think that a trade is unlikely too.  But hey, Mozeliak should be listening, right?

Oh, drat. That doesn’t really mean anything, does it?

1. natstowngreg - Jul 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Yes, too much is made of GMs calling other GMs. Too much attention paid to too many worthless rumors.

But every once in a while, a call actually leads to a negotiation, then to a trade. So we pay attention to the rumors because of the small chance that one could be right.

Well, and because speculation — even baseless — is fun.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Unreliable sources have reported that the White Sox and the Yankees had discussed the following trade: Dunn, Rios and Buehrle for Jones and Chavez. The same sources indicated that the Yankees turned them down because the White Sox refused to cough up some money to make the deal work.

3. bigleagues - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:21 PM

John Heyman is a bit of a joke to me. He used to be a weekly guest on Mike and the Mad Dog with a rumor about virtually every player int he league.

But now with this Twitter – the guy is a monster of misinformation. It’s so bad I’m beginning to assume that GM’s and their underlings simply use Heyman as a clearing house of information on potential trade commodities.

4. frankvzappa - Jul 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM

I don’t see the Red Sox as a viable option. Rasmus has a lot of potential but there is no room for it with Josh Reddick playing well beside Ells and Crawford. He would make one hell of a bench guy, but not one worth trading what the Cardinals would want for him.

• bigleagues - Jul 18, 2011 at 8:09 PM

I agree. I don’t see Rasmus to the Red Sox as anything but a faux rumor.

The Red Sox are seeking a RIGHT HANDED hitter with pop, who can preferably play Right Field. They have ZERO interest with bring another lefty on board.

Now Ryan Ludwick? I can see that being the kind of low cost – decent upside kind of player that Theo will get if a better option doesn’t present itself.

• baseballisboring - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:51 AM

How do you figure? Drew and Reddick are both LH and the offense is still clicking. Drew’s contract is up after this year, Reddick isn’t a great prospect…I think it would make perfect sense, get Colby and make Drew the best 4th OF in the game. But I don’t think the Sox have the chips, nor do I think the Cardinals are interested in trading him anyway…but a man can dream.

• bigleagues - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Perhaps you too deep in your dream.

Rasmus makes very little sense for the Red Sox. I’ll start with this well known fact that you should be all to aware of:

The Red Sox have anywhere between 5-6 LH Batters in the lineup on a given night. It will be 6 when Lowrie is back healthy. Their offense has been an smashing success – beyond the obvious talent – because there are still far more RHP than LHP – and all of the Red Sox LH hitters do very well against RHP.

That said, it has been shown already this season that they can be neutralized by good LH Pitching.

Fast forward to the potential of a Phillies/Red Sox World Series and the prospect of facing Lee and Hamels in 4, possibly 5 games and you’ll understand if I don’t believe that Theo has adding Rasmus very high on his priority list.

Next, I’d love to know the criteria by which you assert that Reddick isn’t a “great prospect”. Is he at least a ‘very good’ prospect? He had a break out year at Double A in 2009, struggled a bit at AAA last year, made adjustments over the off-season and was the owner of an .841 OPS and .991 F% when he t called up. All he’s done since then is:

Year   Age  G PA AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS OPS+ TB
        2011    24 27 87 75 18 26  5  3  4  18 .347 .402 .653 1.056  183 49

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original TableGenerated 7/20/2011.

I believe the Red Sox priorities are acquiring a solid SP for depth and a RH bat with pop who can play RF at better than average defensive level.

They may get that and may not, but replacing a LH bat with another LH bat would seem to be pretty far down the priority list.

5. hittfamily - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I dont like this kid, but he is an upgrade for Sam Fuld/Justin Ruggiano. Rumor last week said Hellickson for Rasmuss. That Wont happen. But Wade Davis/Jeff Neimann might.

• spudchukar - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Been down this road, but hard to see how either the Sox or Rays have the immediate needs the Cards desire. However, as I have mentioned on numerous occasions, a deal with the Nats makes sense. They are a young, coveting a centerfielder like Rasmus and have the expendables to make it work. Clippard, Desmond, and Hernandez would probably be a perfect fit.

• kingbuccaneer - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM

That was one of the most idiotic rumors I heard in a very long time.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet