Jul 18, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
“From what I gather, they are asking a lot for him because they are willing to pick up all of his salary,” the source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported similar information earlier today, writing that the Mets “are willing to eat all or most” of Beltran’s remaining salary if they can get a top prospect in return.
The prospects are the major consideration, of course, but this is also an indication that Mets are attempting to expand the field of potential suitors to as many teams as possible. Beltran may not approve a trade to the Pirates or Indians, for instance, but the fact that they are involved in the talks could raise the stakes for teams like the Giants and Red Sox.
According to Heyman, Beltran would approve deals to the Giants, Tigers, Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies and Yankees among clubs that have expressed interest.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)