Jul 18, 2011, 9:32 PM EDT
“From what I gather, they are asking a lot for him because they are willing to pick up all of his salary,” the source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported similar information earlier today, writing that the Mets “are willing to eat all or most” of Beltran’s remaining salary if they can get a top prospect in return.
The prospects are the major consideration, of course, but this is also an indication that Mets are attempting to expand the field of potential suitors to as many teams as possible. Beltran may not approve a trade to the Pirates or Indians, for instance, but the fact that they are involved in the talks could raise the stakes for teams like the Giants and Red Sox.
According to Heyman, Beltran would approve deals to the Giants, Tigers, Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies and Yankees among clubs that have expressed interest.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)