Jul 18, 2011, 9:32 PM EST
“From what I gather, they are asking a lot for him because they are willing to pick up all of his salary,” the source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported similar information earlier today, writing that the Mets “are willing to eat all or most” of Beltran’s remaining salary if they can get a top prospect in return.
The prospects are the major consideration, of course, but this is also an indication that Mets are attempting to expand the field of potential suitors to as many teams as possible. Beltran may not approve a trade to the Pirates or Indians, for instance, but the fact that they are involved in the talks could raise the stakes for teams like the Giants and Red Sox.
According to Heyman, Beltran would approve deals to the Giants, Tigers, Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies and Yankees among clubs that have expressed interest.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (115)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)