Jul 18, 2011, 4:45 PM EST
Over at SB Nation, former ESPN writer Rob Neyer talks about why he was suspended by his longtime employer back in 2000.
After writing and before posting a piece on a statistical controversy involving Randy Johnson, Neyer attempted to contact Elias editor Steve Hirdt “for some clarification.” When there was no prompt response, he ran the piece anyway.
Shortly afterward, my editor called. Or rather, my editor’s boss called. They were yanking my column because I hadn’t called Elias. But I had called Elias. My editor’s boss called me back a few minutes later. Sorry. Steve Hirdt says you didn’t call. Nothing we can do about it. Tough (%$^!).
Neyer, upset about the incident, criticized ESPN on his personal website and was originally suspended for two weeks, without pay, as a result. The suspension was later reduced to one week.
To this date, Neyer is convinced Hirdt didn’t get back to him for personal reasons. Neyer is a Bill James disciple, and James and Hirdt have had a long-running feud, which Neyer briefly touches on.
Neyer adds that he was once scheduled to debate a topic with Hirdt on ESPNews, but that Hirdt refused to appear with him, leaving Neyer to apparently debate himself.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)