Jul 18, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
This was apparently in the New York Times last week, but I missed it. Reader Bill S. emailed me to let me know that it’s running again over at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The story: the real life identity of that pitcher Bruce Springsteen knew back in high school who could through that speedball by ya and make ya look like a fool.
Short version: his name is Joe DePugh, and his life pretty much follows the arc of your typical Springsteen character. His wife is mentioned in the story, but no word if her name is Mary and if they each long for something better in life while finding their only moments of transcendence on the open highway or something.
Next assignment to the writer: find out what happened to that girl who lives up the block who used to turn the boys’ heads back in high school. Oh, and tell the guys who operate the PA system at ballparks that “Glory Days” really isn’t about baseball, because that bugs the hell out of me.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 13
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte