The boo birds come out for Jason Bay

Jul 18, 2011, 9:20 AM EST

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets Getty Images

It seemed like Jason Bay was pulling himself out of his funk before the All-Star break. He had good series against the Tigers, Yankees and the Dodgers, putting a little hitting streak together for a while, showing some pop and generally not looking moribund.

But the last series before the break against the Giants had him going 0 for 11, and then yesterday he took an 0 for 4, stranding runners and missing a fly ball in the eighth inning yesterday that led to a three-run inning for Philly.  That led to the boo birds coming out in full force and, seemingly, has Bay back to square one.  That little spark of optimism notwithstanding, he’s at .234/.322/.329. Meanwhile, Scott Hairston is on a hot stretch and even Willie Harris is starting to look like a viable alternative.

So the question is: how much longer does Bay get penciled in the lineup every day?

I don’t have an answer. But I think that’s the question everyone is going to be asking for the next few days in New York.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:22 AM

That error yesterday was one of the worst you will ever see. A professional should never make a mistake like that. And a guy making a zillion dollars a year should be booed relentlessly for that one. Even my wife (who doesn’t really watch baseball) laughed at that one…she asked if this was Bay’s first game. ;)

2. Phillies Homer - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I really liked Jason Bay prior to his signing with the Mutts. He seemed like that quiet producer that powers teams (especially my fantasy team a few years back!)

So, it’s bittersweet seeing him struggle. I love when any Met struggles… but Jason Bay is alright in my book. Hopefully he gets a change of scenery soon and becomes the player he once was!

3. sdelmonte - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I am not a fan of booing the home team. It goes against my grain. And I have seen players who have done a lot for the home team get booed over the smallest things. (It still rankles me that I once saw Gary Carter get booed by the Shea faithful.)

But there are occasions when I can’t say I would lift a finger to stop such booing. The way Bay’s played, this is one of them. Even if till now his glove has been surprisingly good.

He’s not going to be benched this season, not with Beltran sure to be traded. But going forward, Alderson and Collins know that Bay is the new albatross.

Do you think during the offseason, managers of such players get together at a dive somewhere and share tales of woe about bad contracts?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM

The one thing that most bothers me about Jason Bay is that he does his post-game interviews in Jeter-ese. Even Jeter can’t do that anymore.

4. catsmeat - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Well, I suppose it could be worse. At least Omar didn’t give him Jayson Werth’s contract.

• gammagammahey - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM

That’s going to be a real interesting one to see how it works out in the long run. Are the Natinals fans booing Werth yet?

5. adenzeno - Jul 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I am amazed that he seems to continually roll over every pitch and doesnt seem to try and hit the ball the other way..I know he has some hits to RF, but at some point you would think he would stop trying to pull everything. Of course he may NOT be tryimg to pull everything, but it sure looks that way. I like him a lot and I would hope that some NYers will start trying to encourage him and pump him up instead of booing him. I cannot imagine how he feels(Ok well sort of, I was not a very good baseball player yet loved the game and hated not being good..)-Hopefully the fans of the Mets can help him through this. He needs some of this

6. pistonhurricane - Jul 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

He should donate the majority of his paycheck to charity until he snaps out of his two year slump.

• Alex K - Jul 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM

He’ll do that right after you donate a majority of your check to charity.

See how easy it is to spend other people’s money!

• pistonhurricane - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I am not a professional athlete…. I won’t be earning 18 million this year… and I haven’t been in a slump for nearly two years. If he is worth that money, for his productivity, I am very much underpaid.

• Alex K - Jul 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM

It doesn’t matter what your profession is. You want someone else to donate most of their money you should be willing to do the same.

Your money spend so much easier than mine does!

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM

The Mets, where RH hitting goes to die. Even the switch hitters like Beltran and Reyes are batting 70-80 points lower from the right side. Wright is a mess. At some point you have to figure a change in approach is necessary. Maybe they should all watch a litle tape on Jeter or Michael Young and lean to stop trying to pull everything.

8. macjacmccoy - Jul 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

There’s just something about the Mets. No matter how good a player is before they get there once their there they greatly under play their contracts. I bet even Pujos would be an albatross if the Mets signed him in the off season.

In the last decade has there been a team that has given out worse contracts to free agents or trade acquisitions then the Mets?

• pistonhurricane - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Bonilla…. Mo Vaughn…. Kaz Matsui… Jason Bay….. Nope. Don’t think so.

• adenzeno - Jul 18, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Add Castillo and Johan (probably) to that mix

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4954)