Jul 18, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
It seemed like Jason Bay was pulling himself out of his funk before the All-Star break. He had good series against the Tigers, Yankees and the Dodgers, putting a little hitting streak together for a while, showing some pop and generally not looking moribund.
But the last series before the break against the Giants had him going 0 for 11, and then yesterday he took an 0 for 4, stranding runners and missing a fly ball in the eighth inning yesterday that led to a three-run inning for Philly. That led to the boo birds coming out in full force and, seemingly, has Bay back to square one. That little spark of optimism notwithstanding, he’s at .234/.322/.329. Meanwhile, Scott Hairston is on a hot stretch and even Willie Harris is starting to look like a viable alternative.
So the question is: how much longer does Bay get penciled in the lineup every day?
I don’t have an answer. But I think that’s the question everyone is going to be asking for the next few days in New York.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)