And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 19, 2011, 5:54 AM EDT

Orioles relief pitcher Michael Gonzalez falls off the mound after delivering a pitch against the Red Sox in Baltimore

Red Sox 15, Orioles 10: Of course. The night after Boston took 16 innings to score one run, they unload for 15 against the O’s. That after getting almost no sleep due to the late night. I said yesterday that the Orioles had their worst series of the season against Boston before the All-Star break, but this one could end up being uglier.

Cubs 6, Phillies 1The heat got to Halladay. I can only assume that at certain temperatures and humidity levels his hydraulic limbs and positronic net start to experience some sort of interface malfunction with the organic components, resulting in cyborg failure.  I’m sure that after a level 2 diagnostic and a purge of his short term memory he’ll be back to work, doing the jobs that we can’t depend on Man to do as reliably, all the while biding his time until he leads the other machines — who have since become self-aware — in a bloody revolt against their creators.

Pirates 2, Reds 0: Charlie Morton didn’t pitch the most efficient game in baseball history — he threw 87 pitches in five innings — but the Reds did nothing against him during that time. Didn’t help that there was an hour and a half delay during the first inning. The Reds did nothing against the rest of the Pirates staff either. Pittsburgh is in first place.

Indians 5, Twins 2, Indians 6, Twins 3:  David Huff throws seven scoreless innings in the first one. The thinking was that he was only making the spot start for the doubleheader and would only be up with the big club for a minute and a Huff, but he may have won himself a job with that outing. You know, he hasn’t stopped talking since I came here? He must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

White Sox 5, Royals 2: Mark Buehrle keeps rolling, pitching better than his record suggests. It was 95 degrees at game time with a heat index of 105.  I have a theory that the idea of the heat index is bunk and that it was made up by a TV meteorologist looking to sexy-up the weather segment of the evening news, but I can’t prove it.  I suppose I could ask my dad, who retired from the National Weather Service.  But how do I know they haven’t gotten to him too?

Yankees 5, Rays 4: Joe Maddon decided to bring in Kyle Farnsworth for the five-out save with a couple runners aboard in the eighth inning. Not something a lot of people would do.  That backfired, as both of the runners came around to score. Alex Torres came into a 4-4 tie in the ninth, loaded the bases and then walked Russell Martin with them loaded and took the loss. This is what people were expecting a lot of from the Rays’ pen before the season began.

Marlins 4, Mets 1: Clay Hensley gave up only one hit in five innings and the bullpen took it home from there. A two-run double for Mike Stanton. No stolen bases for him, though, so his manager is probably mad at him.

Nationals 5, Astros 2: A couple RBI for Ryan Zimmerman and eight innings of two-run ball for Jason Marquis. No one really sweats when playing Houston.

Braves 7, Rockies 4: Derek Lowe was cruising — even got a hit and scored a run — until he ran out of gas in the seventh. Braves held on, however, thanks to another nice game from the McCann-Freeman combination of which I am becoming a giantic fan.  Now if only Jason Heyward would come out of his coma to help them out.

Diamondbacks 3, Brewers 0: Rookie Josh Collmenter tomahawked the Brewers, shutting them down and shutting them out over eight. Really, he tomahawked ‘em. Inevitable he goes to the Braves one day, I suppose.

Giants 5, Dodgers 0: Ryan Vogelsong had his way with the Dodgers as well. He now leads the NL in ERA, which is what we all expected before the season began, right?

1. dan1111 - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM

The Orioles and Red Sox put on a show of offensive eptitude.

• ILoveBaseball - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM

- although Wakefield creates a lot of eptitude.

• dan1111 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:30 AM

That’s a good point. Is it good offense or just clutch bad pitching?

• ILoveBaseball - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Showalter may be among the worst game tacticians in the game. It seems as if every time a Boston batter is intentionally walked, he scores. I’ll go look it up.

2. Jack Marshall - Jul 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Oh, I see your little game, Craig—you’re going to keep the Sox at #2 in next week’s Power Rankings on the grounds that the team is “inconsistent.”

3. Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Cliff Lee looked generally concerned last night. I predict he deals out some baseball revenge for his new buddy Roy. Striking more fear into the hearts of Cubs than Mark Buehrle on a game preserve tour.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I’m in the midst of a heated battle against my fantasy baseball nemesis. In other words, Cliff Lee must dominate. I wish I could go tonight but alas, I’m not that f’ing crazy to stay out in this week long ball sweat bath.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Eating pie in the AC huh? Not too bad.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Pie, A/C, and MLB.tv back in full effect.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Heyward’s breakin’ out the ice cream tonight.

4. sdelmonte - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM

The first place Pittsburgh Pirates. Who’da thunk it?

• dcburden - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Imagine if they still had Vogelsong!

• Old Gator - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If they go down to the local bierhaus and knock off some kraut and bratwurst, chased by a few dozen beers, and squeeze into their leiderhosen, they’ll be able to sing it again.

5. uyf1950 - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Good come back by the Yankees in this game. I’m not sure though that would have been the case if the Rays hadn’t played 16 innings the night before and used up their bullpen in a losing effort against the Red Sox. But it is what it is and the Yankees got the “W” and that’s really all that matters. Gardner continues to impress and I think the Yankees are missing the boat by having him bat at the bottom of the order. Looking at it objectively he and Jeter need to switch places.
    One final comment, even though AJ Burnett was able to walk away from this game with a no decision he still pitched terribly. I don’t know of many Yankee fans that can take another 2 plus years of him in pinstripes. Brian Cashman please make the trade with the Rockies and throw Burnett in the deal for free. Eat his salary if you must but move him to another team and oh btw, they can have Mitre also.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:31 AM

uyf- Please don’t forget an ounce of Farnsworth hard-throwing ineptitude makes up for a pound of AJ throw-it-all-over-the-place incompetence.
      Wonder what Cashman might have up his sleeve in the next twelve days? We’re just slogging through games and getting unimpressive, and sometimes improbable wins these days.

• uyf1950 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Up to last night my friend I had begun to think Farnsworth had his own stem cell transplant as he’s pitched pretty good for the Rays. But Farnsworth’s performance last night renewed my faith in him. That is, when you need him most he’s never there. That’s just my opinion.

• spudchukar - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

UYF, mi amigo, a win may be a win, but Burnett was butt awful. In my humble opinion your description of Farnsworth could apply to A.J. also.

• uyf1950 - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM

spudchukar, my friend. No need to be humble. I thought I said as much about AJ in my original post. Having seen both AJ and Farnsworth (when he was with the Yankees) I would be hard pressed to disagree with you. In fact I wouldn’t even try. Just telling it like I see it. Have a good day my friend.
        BTW, I would include Mitre in the comparison as well.

• dan1111 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM

League-average starting pitchers aren’t the kind of thing you should just give away, even if your expectations were originally much higher.

• uyf1950 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM

You do when they give you heartburn. That’s just my opinion.

• dan1111 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Ah well, perhaps I would see it differently in your shoes.

6. halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Doc was not feeling himself, plain and simple. When I played baseball, there were a few occasions where I experienced over-heat exhaution. No amount of water or cold water soaked towels can help. Only rest and recovery. He will be fine for his next start. My guess is that he probably was ill prior to the game but did not tell anyone. That’s just the type of competitor that he is.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM

My guess is that he probably was ill prior to the game but did not tell anyone

Definitely a Catch-22 with athletes. They don’t talk about ailments/injuries, perform badly and everyone wonders why? When they finally speak up everyone does a collective “oh that’s why!”. If they talk to often about injuries, they are labeled as pansies/whiners or “not tough enough”.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Exactly. And Roy is a tough guy. It took not being able to go on anymore for him to pull himself out of the game. I played a lot of baseball in my youth and know what heat exhaustion is like. Unless you experience it, you have no idea how it can affect you.

7. sportsdrenched - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:22 AM

For the longest time Royals fans could point to the Pirates, and in a misery loves company attitude quip: “At least we don’t root for the Pirates”

Up until this season the Royals having the benefit of playing the 2003 Tigers was the only thing that seperated the Royals in-eptitude from the Pirates. All that is gone now. The Royals are the most pathetic baseball franchise in the last 20 years.

But hey, I hear the wind chill might get into the upper 80’s around here this evening.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM

The Royals last made the playoffs in 1985 when they won the World Series. At least the Pirates had a 3 year run from 1990-92.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM

The Royals can’t even claim the “worst” title this year as long as the Astros abide.

• sportsdrenched - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

They can’t even suck properly. Before Kauffman was renovated the 1985 WS Trophy was displayed in the Royals Hall of Fame on the main concourse behind the 3B dugout. For several seasons a trash can sat right in front of the WS Trophy. I thougth it was very fitting.

Usually I just laugh off the in-eptitude. But the fact that Kyle Davies still has a spot in this rotation has me in a foul mood. I’m not asking for much at this point. Just a little DFA for Carpenter Kyle.

8. themightyquinn1 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Boy, do I feel sorry for those Birds – a great franchise down the tubes, at least for as long as that dweeb Showalter remains their manager. He looks like a dweeb, walks like a dweeb and talks like one too. Remember his Theo bashing, anyone? Now that was one smart move, dontcha think? The door to his office must have quite a line in front of it. I’m sure he can hear their chants – trade me, trade me, pa-lease!!!

• APBA Guy - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

It isn’t Showalter, it’s the owner. The O’s have sucked monkeys for a long time now, and the constant during that time frame has been Angelos. He drove away one of the great GM’s, Pat Gillick, with his meddling and dithering, and he’s been through quality managers and not so quality managers. We’re getting a good dose of the Angelos Way here in Oakland, and it isn’t pretty.

9. dailyrev - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Well, the Jolly Roger doesn’t have a beard. I have a 17 year old kid who looks older than d’Arnaud (who made a game-saving play with the sacks loaded in, yes, the 1st inning last night — go to the highlight reel at mlb.com to see it) and Presley (don’t have to be able to shave in order to hit). They need to make a deal if they can find Andrew Carnegie’s secret vault. RF is a very weak area for them, and there’s a buried diamond of a player in that position currently lost in the land of Edgar Allan Poe. Markakis is his name, and he deserves to be on a winner.

Wait, somebody slap me — the Pirates are a winner…

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM

“Markakis is his name, and he deserves to be on a winner.”

Why? I will never understand this notion that a guy who signs a long-term deal with a shitty team “deserves to be on a winner”. Nobody put a gun to his head and made him sign that very lucrative contract a couple years ago…6 yrs/$66.1M (09-14). I would actually say that Markakis “deserves to be on a shitty team” until after the 2014 season when he becomes a free agent. And if at that time, he signs with ANOTHER shitty team, then I’ll come back and say once again that he “deserves to be on a shitty team”

• Ari Collins - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Could not agree more.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Peter Angelos gets on his knees every day to give thanks for McCourt and Wilpon.

• spudchukar - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

When Oswalt left the Astros and signed with the Phillies, all I heard was how he was just “ring-chasing”. When a player stays with the franchise that reared him, he is stupid for his loyalty, and deserves to be mired with a second division team. The hypocrisy is palpable.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Potato-man…you are once again off in your analysis. Maybe you were sitting a little too close to the microwave and fried some of your brain-spuds. Oswalt was TRADED…he didn’t “sign with the Phillies to chase rings”. And I don’t believe I read a single article that stated that Oswalt was a “ring-chaser”. I guess that was probably because he was TRADED.

The stupidity is even more palpable.

• spudchukar - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM

A minor technicality, but you are correct that Oswalt was traded. However, he had to wave his no-trade clause for the deal to go forword, and he chose Philadelphia as his destination. If you are unable to remember the numerous exchanges regarding accusations of Lil’ Roy being a “ring-chaser”, then selective memory loss has once again raised its ugly head in the Fior amygdaloid region.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Maybe some idiot Philly-haters said he was a ring-chaser but I didn’t read a single article from a columnist with half a brain who said Oswalt was chasing a ring. So I definitely did not have any “Sammy Jankis-esque” problem in any of my regions.

• spudchukar - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

So is this a confession that you indeed did call Oswalt a ring-chaser?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I think purdueman called him that a few thousand* times in his maniacal diatribes against Little Roy.

*may be SLIGHT exaggeration.

10. themightyquinn1 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Hmmm – maybe you 2 Markakis ‘ying and yangs’ should do the same thing he’s doing – keeping his mouth shut. He signed, he plays, he gets paid. End of story.

11. cur68 - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:19 AM

BeaverBoys have The Most Interesting Hitter in the World back for the start of their series against the Mighty Boatmen of Seattle this evening. Will the hired bats of the Blue Bird Beaver Lovers prevail or will the Sea Faring Ones be triumphant? Will Joey Bats increase his MLB leading home run lead over at Safeco or will it be the Ichiro Show? Stay tuned. Some baseball is to be played peoples then these and other burning questions will be answered. Oh and cake. There will be cake with ice cream.

• Old Gator - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I made a smoked gruyere and morel mushroom quiche last night. It’s getting to be a specialty of mine, as long as the morels hold out (we’re at the ass end of the season now, though). I was contemplating how closely a quiche resembles a pie. It’s round, vertically compressed….but ice cream would taste like shit on top of it. What a quandary.

• APBA Guy - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Cur-sorry to ruin the narrative, but Ichiro hasn’t been himself this year. And Texas just showed how it’s done at Safeco, with Kinsler hitting two off King Felix as part of a 4 game sweep. I think the B Boys will be just fine in the Emerald City as long as they stay away from the day-old Ichi-rolls.

• mornelithe - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:04 PM

The Cake is a Lie.

12. TomTom - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

“The thinking was that he was only making the spot start for the doubleheader and would only be up with the big club for a minute and a Huff, but he may have won himself a job with that outing.”

Boo.

13. halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I have to bring this up. This Braves fan is perplexed when he calls a Philly radio station and is faced with the prospect that they may not agree that the Braves are better than the Phillies:

Here’s the guy’s twitter name:
    Leslie M.
    @NatsFansided

Leslie, might want to rethink your posts, sir, before posting insanity.

• The Rabbit - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

And it’s important to use this forum to criticize a team’s fan’s posts at another site because?

14. Old Gator - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

The Iron Giant seems to be succumbing to ribby whoredome these days. Hit a laser into the gap yesterday to pace Clay Helmsley’s emergence from apparent cryogenic storage against the Mutts during one of those “make up” specials that kills your off days. Probably just pissed off. There’s that old Helmsley family saying: losses are for the little people.

Hard to believe what the Curmudgeonly Undead has gotten these…heh heh…floundering Feesh to achieve over the last couple of weeks. An example of how he manages was demonstrated in the ninth last night when he yanked Randy Choate after he walked a Mutt and then threw two balls to the next batter. Throw strikes or die!

15. foreverchipper10 - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Is it just me or did almost every game capsule from the AP yesterday talk about the heat index or have some mention of the temperature? It is mid-July. The days are going to be hot and humid. It doesn’t need reporting unless it is something astronomically out of the ordinary.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

It’s all over the news how bad this Midwestern heat wave is, so it’s not really unexpected to have a report on a game played outside that begins with the heat info.

• Ari Collins - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:59 PM

It is something astronomically out of the ordinary. Hottest summer since ’33 I think.

16. tribester - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM

No comments on the Indians and Twins ridiculously green caps to honor Earth Day nearly 3 months late?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3590)