Jul 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Spencer that Coghlan’s “knee stiffened up a bit” and the Marlins “want to back him off and get it completely healthy.”
Coghlan has been out since June 17, with the disabled list stint nullifying an old fashioned demotion to Triple-A, and last week the Marlins indicated that the former Rookie of the Year would remain in the minors even once he’s healthy.
Unfortunately now that may be a while, as he’s slated to undergo further testing on an injury that dates back to last season when, as Spencer puts it, “Coghlan injured the knee when he smacked Wes Helms in the face with a shaving cream pie to celebrate a walk-off win.” Surgery followed in August and Coghlan hasn’t been right since.
Mike Cameron has taken over as Florida’s regular center fielder, but is just 4-for-24 (.167) through eight games after hitting .149 in 33 games for the Red Sox. He has, however, avoided any shaving cream pie-related injuries. So far.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)