Jul 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Spencer that Coghlan’s “knee stiffened up a bit” and the Marlins “want to back him off and get it completely healthy.”
Coghlan has been out since June 17, with the disabled list stint nullifying an old fashioned demotion to Triple-A, and last week the Marlins indicated that the former Rookie of the Year would remain in the minors even once he’s healthy.
Unfortunately now that may be a while, as he’s slated to undergo further testing on an injury that dates back to last season when, as Spencer puts it, “Coghlan injured the knee when he smacked Wes Helms in the face with a shaving cream pie to celebrate a walk-off win.” Surgery followed in August and Coghlan hasn’t been right since.
Mike Cameron has taken over as Florida’s regular center fielder, but is just 4-for-24 (.167) through eight games after hitting .149 in 33 games for the Red Sox. He has, however, avoided any shaving cream pie-related injuries. So far.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)