Jul 19, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Spencer that Coghlan’s “knee stiffened up a bit” and the Marlins “want to back him off and get it completely healthy.”
Coghlan has been out since June 17, with the disabled list stint nullifying an old fashioned demotion to Triple-A, and last week the Marlins indicated that the former Rookie of the Year would remain in the minors even once he’s healthy.
Unfortunately now that may be a while, as he’s slated to undergo further testing on an injury that dates back to last season when, as Spencer puts it, “Coghlan injured the knee when he smacked Wes Helms in the face with a shaving cream pie to celebrate a walk-off win.” Surgery followed in August and Coghlan hasn’t been right since.
Mike Cameron has taken over as Florida’s regular center fielder, but is just 4-for-24 (.167) through eight games after hitting .149 in 33 games for the Red Sox. He has, however, avoided any shaving cream pie-related injuries. So far.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)