Jul 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Aaron Heilman was spotted shaking hands with teammates and cleaning out his locker following yesterday’s game, which jibes with the report from Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona that the Diamondbacks will release the veteran right-hander.
Heilman re-signed with the Diamondbacks for a one-year, $2 million deal in the hopes of snagging a rotation spot after years of relieving, but instead he’s been exclusively a reliever again while posting a 6.88 ERA in 35 innings.
Serving up eight homers in 32 appearances has played a big role in Heilman’s struggles and his velocity is also down this season, but his 33/11 K/BB ratio suggests he can still be effective in a low-leverage role. He may have to work his way back to the majors with a minor-league deal at age 32.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)