Jul 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Aaron Heilman was spotted shaking hands with teammates and cleaning out his locker following yesterday’s game, which jibes with the report from Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona that the Diamondbacks will release the veteran right-hander.
Heilman re-signed with the Diamondbacks for a one-year, $2 million deal in the hopes of snagging a rotation spot after years of relieving, but instead he’s been exclusively a reliever again while posting a 6.88 ERA in 35 innings.
Serving up eight homers in 32 appearances has played a big role in Heilman’s struggles and his velocity is also down this season, but his 33/11 K/BB ratio suggests he can still be effective in a low-leverage role. He may have to work his way back to the majors with a minor-league deal at age 32.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)