Jul 19, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Keppinger has been on the trade block ever since he returned from foot surgery at the end of May. Since replacing Bill Hall as the Astros’ primary second baseman, he’s hit .307/.320/.436 with four homers and 20 RBI in 163 at-bats. Rarely one to swing and miss, he had just four walks and seven strikeouts in 43 games. Last year, he hit .288/.351/.393 in 514 at-bats for Houston.
The 31-year-old Keppinger will fill the hole at second base the Giants have dealt with ever since losing Freddy Sanchez to a shoulder injury. The Giants originally picked up Hall after he was released by the Astros, but he struggled and is currently on the DL. If Sanchez is able to avoid season-ending surgery and return next month, then Keppinger will likely slide into a utility role.
The cost for Keppinger was a pair of modest prospects. Sosa, 25, was one regarded as one of the Giants’ best prospects, but his stock as slipped the last couple of years. The Giants shifted him to the pen in Triple-A this year with brutal results; he had a 10.41 ERA in 17 appearances before being sent back to Double-A. Restored to the rotation in the Eastern League, he had a 2.68 ERA and a 36/8 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings.
Stoffel, 22, was also pitching for Double-A Richmond and had a 3.98 ERA as the team’s primary closer.
The Astros should be pleased if one of the two turns into a decent bullpen arm for the team.
The Giants also recalled Belt after he hit .293/.442/.610 with three homers in 12 games for Triple-A Fresno. He’ll likely get Pat Burrell‘s at-bats in left field for now.
21-year-old catcher Hector Sanchez, who was just called up last week, was returned to the minors. He played in three games and went 0-for-3.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)