Jul 19, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Keppinger has been on the trade block ever since he returned from foot surgery at the end of May. Since replacing Bill Hall as the Astros’ primary second baseman, he’s hit .307/.320/.436 with four homers and 20 RBI in 163 at-bats. Rarely one to swing and miss, he had just four walks and seven strikeouts in 43 games. Last year, he hit .288/.351/.393 in 514 at-bats for Houston.
The 31-year-old Keppinger will fill the hole at second base the Giants have dealt with ever since losing Freddy Sanchez to a shoulder injury. The Giants originally picked up Hall after he was released by the Astros, but he struggled and is currently on the DL. If Sanchez is able to avoid season-ending surgery and return next month, then Keppinger will likely slide into a utility role.
The cost for Keppinger was a pair of modest prospects. Sosa, 25, was one regarded as one of the Giants’ best prospects, but his stock as slipped the last couple of years. The Giants shifted him to the pen in Triple-A this year with brutal results; he had a 10.41 ERA in 17 appearances before being sent back to Double-A. Restored to the rotation in the Eastern League, he had a 2.68 ERA and a 36/8 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings.
Stoffel, 22, was also pitching for Double-A Richmond and had a 3.98 ERA as the team’s primary closer.
The Astros should be pleased if one of the two turns into a decent bullpen arm for the team.
The Giants also recalled Belt after he hit .293/.442/.610 with three homers in 12 games for Triple-A Fresno. He’ll likely get Pat Burrell‘s at-bats in left field for now.
21-year-old catcher Hector Sanchez, who was just called up last week, was returned to the minors. He played in three games and went 0-for-3.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)