Jul 19, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
Keppinger has been on the trade block ever since he returned from foot surgery at the end of May. Since replacing Bill Hall as the Astros’ primary second baseman, he’s hit .307/.320/.436 with four homers and 20 RBI in 163 at-bats. Rarely one to swing and miss, he had just four walks and seven strikeouts in 43 games. Last year, he hit .288/.351/.393 in 514 at-bats for Houston.
The 31-year-old Keppinger will fill the hole at second base the Giants have dealt with ever since losing Freddy Sanchez to a shoulder injury. The Giants originally picked up Hall after he was released by the Astros, but he struggled and is currently on the DL. If Sanchez is able to avoid season-ending surgery and return next month, then Keppinger will likely slide into a utility role.
The cost for Keppinger was a pair of modest prospects. Sosa, 25, was one regarded as one of the Giants’ best prospects, but his stock as slipped the last couple of years. The Giants shifted him to the pen in Triple-A this year with brutal results; he had a 10.41 ERA in 17 appearances before being sent back to Double-A. Restored to the rotation in the Eastern League, he had a 2.68 ERA and a 36/8 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings.
Stoffel, 22, was also pitching for Double-A Richmond and had a 3.98 ERA as the team’s primary closer.
The Astros should be pleased if one of the two turns into a decent bullpen arm for the team.
The Giants also recalled Belt after he hit .293/.442/.610 with three homers in 12 games for Triple-A Fresno. He’ll likely get Pat Burrell‘s at-bats in left field for now.
21-year-old catcher Hector Sanchez, who was just called up last week, was returned to the minors. He played in three games and went 0-for-3.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)