Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
According to Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants have placed Miguel Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal strain. This is the corresponding move to make room for Brandon Belt, who was promoted from Triple-A Fresno earlier today and is starting at first base tonight against the Dodgers.
Tejada left last night’s game after injuring himself while committing an error in the top of the third inning. He was initially listed as day-to-day and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the Giants placed him on the disabled list against his wishes.
The Giants would have likely waited a day or two if Tejada was actually producing, but he has proven to be a major bust after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract over the winter. The 37-year-old is batting just .242/.272/.334 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .609 OPS over 322 plate appearances this season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)