Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM EST
According to Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants have placed Miguel Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal strain. This is the corresponding move to make room for Brandon Belt, who was promoted from Triple-A Fresno earlier today and is starting at first base tonight against the Dodgers.
Tejada left last night’s game after injuring himself while committing an error in the top of the third inning. He was initially listed as day-to-day and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the Giants placed him on the disabled list against his wishes.
The Giants would have likely waited a day or two if Tejada was actually producing, but he has proven to be a major bust after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract over the winter. The 37-year-old is batting just .242/.272/.334 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .609 OPS over 322 plate appearances this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)