Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
According to Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants have placed Miguel Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal strain. This is the corresponding move to make room for Brandon Belt, who was promoted from Triple-A Fresno earlier today and is starting at first base tonight against the Dodgers.
Tejada left last night’s game after injuring himself while committing an error in the top of the third inning. He was initially listed as day-to-day and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the Giants placed him on the disabled list against his wishes.
The Giants would have likely waited a day or two if Tejada was actually producing, but he has proven to be a major bust after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract over the winter. The 37-year-old is batting just .242/.272/.334 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .609 OPS over 322 plate appearances this season.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 23
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)