Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
According to Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants have placed Miguel Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal strain. This is the corresponding move to make room for Brandon Belt, who was promoted from Triple-A Fresno earlier today and is starting at first base tonight against the Dodgers.
Tejada left last night’s game after injuring himself while committing an error in the top of the third inning. He was initially listed as day-to-day and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the Giants placed him on the disabled list against his wishes.
The Giants would have likely waited a day or two if Tejada was actually producing, but he has proven to be a major bust after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract over the winter. The 37-year-old is batting just .242/.272/.334 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .609 OPS over 322 plate appearances this season.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)