Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM EST
According to Amy Gutierrez of CSNBayArea.com, the Giants have placed Miguel Tejada on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal strain. This is the corresponding move to make room for Brandon Belt, who was promoted from Triple-A Fresno earlier today and is starting at first base tonight against the Dodgers.
Tejada left last night’s game after injuring himself while committing an error in the top of the third inning. He was initially listed as day-to-day and Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that the Giants placed him on the disabled list against his wishes.
The Giants would have likely waited a day or two if Tejada was actually producing, but he has proven to be a major bust after signing a one-year, $6.5 million contract over the winter. The 37-year-old is batting just .242/.272/.334 with four homers, 26 RBI and a .609 OPS over 322 plate appearances this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)