Jul 19, 2011, 10:02 PM EDT
Jason Heyward is being held out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight night as a result of being hit on the top of his left foot by a pitch during Sunday’s game against the Nationals.
Heyward dealt with some swelling and pain on Monday which made it difficult to run, but arrived at the ballpark today ready to play. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez decided to sit him as a precaution, but Heyward told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he plans to return to the lineup tomorrow night.
“I let [Fredi Gonzalez] know before we got here that I wanted to play,” Heyward said before batting practice Tuesday. “He said he’d like for me to take another day, just to make sure. So I’m going to do everything today and run around on it, and play [Wednesday].”
It doesn’t sound like Heyward’s foot will be much of an issue moving forward, but his lack of production is an ongoing concern. The 21-year-old outfielder is batting .237 with a .703 OPS since returning from a sore right shoulder in June, including a .200/.284/.367 batting line over his last 17 games.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)