Jul 19, 2011, 10:02 PM EDT
Jason Heyward is being held out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight night as a result of being hit on the top of his left foot by a pitch during Sunday’s game against the Nationals.
Heyward dealt with some swelling and pain on Monday which made it difficult to run, but arrived at the ballpark today ready to play. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez decided to sit him as a precaution, but Heyward told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he plans to return to the lineup tomorrow night.
“I let [Fredi Gonzalez] know before we got here that I wanted to play,” Heyward said before batting practice Tuesday. “He said he’d like for me to take another day, just to make sure. So I’m going to do everything today and run around on it, and play [Wednesday].”
It doesn’t sound like Heyward’s foot will be much of an issue moving forward, but his lack of production is an ongoing concern. The 21-year-old outfielder is batting .237 with a .703 OPS since returning from a sore right shoulder in June, including a .200/.284/.367 batting line over his last 17 games.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)