Jul 19, 2011, 8:26 AM EDT
It’s been a mostly-lost season for Joe Mauer, what with injury and ineffectiveness and all of that. But July has been much kinder to the former MVP. Yesterday Mauer went 6 for 8 in the doubleheader against Cleveland, with a double and an RBI. That day raised his average 30 points, from .260 to .290.
For the month of July he’s at .333/.448/.354. Which, yeah, is a funny-looking line, bereft of power. Which is something that could be even more worrisome when one realizes that there’s a distinct possibility that his future is at first base rather than behind the plate.
It’s far too early to say whether Joe Mauer is looking at more of a Wally Joyner future instead of a Johnny Bench future, however, and for now I think the Twins will take the hits as they come and hope that the power soon follows.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)