Jul 19, 2011, 8:26 AM EDT
It’s been a mostly-lost season for Joe Mauer, what with injury and ineffectiveness and all of that. But July has been much kinder to the former MVP. Yesterday Mauer went 6 for 8 in the doubleheader against Cleveland, with a double and an RBI. That day raised his average 30 points, from .260 to .290.
For the month of July he’s at .333/.448/.354. Which, yeah, is a funny-looking line, bereft of power. Which is something that could be even more worrisome when one realizes that there’s a distinct possibility that his future is at first base rather than behind the plate.
It’s far too early to say whether Joe Mauer is looking at more of a Wally Joyner future instead of a Johnny Bench future, however, and for now I think the Twins will take the hits as they come and hope that the power soon follows.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)