Jul 19, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
They haven’t been in the same lineup together since July 2, when Reyes injured his hamstring. Beltran has missed the past three games with flu-like symptoms.
Both players are impending free agents having outstanding bounce back seasons after injury wrecked 2010 campaigns and in fact among NL position player teammates Reyes and Beltran rank second to Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder of the Brewers in Wins Above Replacement.
And now that they’re healthy again the big question is whether the Mets will trade one or both, with the Beltran rumors swirling pretty strongly in recent days. New York is 12.5 games back in the NL East and 9.5 games out of the Wild Card spot, so even with Wright potentially returning by the end of the week sell mode makes sense for the Mets.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)