Jul 19, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Jose Reyes played a rehab game at Coney Island yesterday and everything went just swell: 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored plus six innings at shortstop. No problems, no fuss, and now it’s back to the Mets for him tonight to face the Cardinals.
And it’s not a moment too soon. As D.J. notes over at Rotoworld’s Daily Dose, the Mets’ offense has fallen off a cliff since Reyes has been gone. His .354/.398/.529 bat at the top of the order — plus the return of Carlos Beltran from his little bout with the flu — should mean a revitalized Mets attack tonight. And barring any setbacks, David Wright comes back on Friday.
And if things don’t rebound for the Mets everyone will blame Wright, because that’s just autopilot, right?
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)