Jul 19, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Jose Reyes played a rehab game at Coney Island yesterday and everything went just swell: 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored plus six innings at shortstop. No problems, no fuss, and now it’s back to the Mets for him tonight to face the Cardinals.
And it’s not a moment too soon. As D.J. notes over at Rotoworld’s Daily Dose, the Mets’ offense has fallen off a cliff since Reyes has been gone. His .354/.398/.529 bat at the top of the order — plus the return of Carlos Beltran from his little bout with the flu — should mean a revitalized Mets attack tonight. And barring any setbacks, David Wright comes back on Friday.
And if things don’t rebound for the Mets everyone will blame Wright, because that’s just autopilot, right?
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 10
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 46
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 41
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 19
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72