Jul 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EST
My dad had a 1985 Corvette once upon a time. He really dug that car. Low mileage. No problems with it. Once in a while, however, mostly out of boredom, he’d put a “For Sale” sign in the window and park it in the supermarket parking lot, seeing if he couldn’t get someone to make him a dumb offer. It was highly unlikely that anyone was that dumb, but hey, if you never try, you’ll never be able to rip anyone off.
Anyway, that’s what I think is happening with Jimenez and the Rockies. They don’t really want to trade him. It makes little sense for them to do so. But hey, if a team is going to give up a crap-ton of talent for him, why not? And how can you find that out unless you dangle him?
Against that backdrop, know that Danny Knobler reports that the Red Sox are asking about Jimenez now too. Like the Yankees, they saw him at the Kroger parking lot and were probably curious how much they’d have to pay for him. And then my dad/the Rockies told them some outrageous figure and it all ended there. Or probably did.
I don’t think Jimenez gets traded, because no one is going to pay what that Corvette is worth. But selling him isn’t really the point.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)