Jul 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
My dad had a 1985 Corvette once upon a time. He really dug that car. Low mileage. No problems with it. Once in a while, however, mostly out of boredom, he’d put a “For Sale” sign in the window and park it in the supermarket parking lot, seeing if he couldn’t get someone to make him a dumb offer. It was highly unlikely that anyone was that dumb, but hey, if you never try, you’ll never be able to rip anyone off.
Anyway, that’s what I think is happening with Jimenez and the Rockies. They don’t really want to trade him. It makes little sense for them to do so. But hey, if a team is going to give up a crap-ton of talent for him, why not? And how can you find that out unless you dangle him?
Against that backdrop, know that Danny Knobler reports that the Red Sox are asking about Jimenez now too. Like the Yankees, they saw him at the Kroger parking lot and were probably curious how much they’d have to pay for him. And then my dad/the Rockies told them some outrageous figure and it all ended there. Or probably did.
I don’t think Jimenez gets traded, because no one is going to pay what that Corvette is worth. But selling him isn’t really the point.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)