Jul 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
My dad had a 1985 Corvette once upon a time. He really dug that car. Low mileage. No problems with it. Once in a while, however, mostly out of boredom, he’d put a “For Sale” sign in the window and park it in the supermarket parking lot, seeing if he couldn’t get someone to make him a dumb offer. It was highly unlikely that anyone was that dumb, but hey, if you never try, you’ll never be able to rip anyone off.
Anyway, that’s what I think is happening with Jimenez and the Rockies. They don’t really want to trade him. It makes little sense for them to do so. But hey, if a team is going to give up a crap-ton of talent for him, why not? And how can you find that out unless you dangle him?
Against that backdrop, know that Danny Knobler reports that the Red Sox are asking about Jimenez now too. Like the Yankees, they saw him at the Kroger parking lot and were probably curious how much they’d have to pay for him. And then my dad/the Rockies told them some outrageous figure and it all ended there. Or probably did.
I don’t think Jimenez gets traded, because no one is going to pay what that Corvette is worth. But selling him isn’t really the point.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)