Jul 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
My dad had a 1985 Corvette once upon a time. He really dug that car. Low mileage. No problems with it. Once in a while, however, mostly out of boredom, he’d put a “For Sale” sign in the window and park it in the supermarket parking lot, seeing if he couldn’t get someone to make him a dumb offer. It was highly unlikely that anyone was that dumb, but hey, if you never try, you’ll never be able to rip anyone off.
Anyway, that’s what I think is happening with Jimenez and the Rockies. They don’t really want to trade him. It makes little sense for them to do so. But hey, if a team is going to give up a crap-ton of talent for him, why not? And how can you find that out unless you dangle him?
Against that backdrop, know that Danny Knobler reports that the Red Sox are asking about Jimenez now too. Like the Yankees, they saw him at the Kroger parking lot and were probably curious how much they’d have to pay for him. And then my dad/the Rockies told them some outrageous figure and it all ended there. Or probably did.
I don’t think Jimenez gets traded, because no one is going to pay what that Corvette is worth. But selling him isn’t really the point.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (160)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)