Jul 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
My dad had a 1985 Corvette once upon a time. He really dug that car. Low mileage. No problems with it. Once in a while, however, mostly out of boredom, he’d put a “For Sale” sign in the window and park it in the supermarket parking lot, seeing if he couldn’t get someone to make him a dumb offer. It was highly unlikely that anyone was that dumb, but hey, if you never try, you’ll never be able to rip anyone off.
Anyway, that’s what I think is happening with Jimenez and the Rockies. They don’t really want to trade him. It makes little sense for them to do so. But hey, if a team is going to give up a crap-ton of talent for him, why not? And how can you find that out unless you dangle him?
Against that backdrop, know that Danny Knobler reports that the Red Sox are asking about Jimenez now too. Like the Yankees, they saw him at the Kroger parking lot and were probably curious how much they’d have to pay for him. And then my dad/the Rockies told them some outrageous figure and it all ended there. Or probably did.
I don’t think Jimenez gets traded, because no one is going to pay what that Corvette is worth. But selling him isn’t really the point.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)