Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, the Phillies are scouting the Mets on Tuesday and they have eyes for more than just Carlos Beltran; they’re also evaluating Scott Hairston as a potential bench bat and Tim Byrdak as a possibly lefty out of the pen.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Tuesday listed the Phillies and Red Sox among the top suitors for Beltran, adding that the Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are also in the mix.
The Phillies would likely lose interest in Hairston if they were able to acquire Beltran or another starting right fielder, but if they decide to stay the course with Dominic Brown there, then another right-handed bat for the bench would be useful. Hairston is hitting .264/.337/.516 with five homers and 19 RBI in 91 at-bats for the Mets this season. He just homered and doubled twice in the Mets’ 11-2 win over the Phillies on Saturday.
Byrdak, another player the Mets should view as expendable, has a 3.70 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. Lefties are hitting .241 against him this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)