Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, the Phillies are scouting the Mets on Tuesday and they have eyes for more than just Carlos Beltran; they’re also evaluating Scott Hairston as a potential bench bat and Tim Byrdak as a possibly lefty out of the pen.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Tuesday listed the Phillies and Red Sox among the top suitors for Beltran, adding that the Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are also in the mix.
The Phillies would likely lose interest in Hairston if they were able to acquire Beltran or another starting right fielder, but if they decide to stay the course with Dominic Brown there, then another right-handed bat for the bench would be useful. Hairston is hitting .264/.337/.516 with five homers and 19 RBI in 91 at-bats for the Mets this season. He just homered and doubled twice in the Mets’ 11-2 win over the Phillies on Saturday.
Byrdak, another player the Mets should view as expendable, has a 3.70 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. Lefties are hitting .241 against him this season.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)