Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, the Phillies are scouting the Mets on Tuesday and they have eyes for more than just Carlos Beltran; they’re also evaluating Scott Hairston as a potential bench bat and Tim Byrdak as a possibly lefty out of the pen.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Tuesday listed the Phillies and Red Sox among the top suitors for Beltran, adding that the Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are also in the mix.
The Phillies would likely lose interest in Hairston if they were able to acquire Beltran or another starting right fielder, but if they decide to stay the course with Dominic Brown there, then another right-handed bat for the bench would be useful. Hairston is hitting .264/.337/.516 with five homers and 19 RBI in 91 at-bats for the Mets this season. He just homered and doubled twice in the Mets’ 11-2 win over the Phillies on Saturday.
Byrdak, another player the Mets should view as expendable, has a 3.70 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. Lefties are hitting .241 against him this season.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 92
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 64
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)