Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, the Phillies are scouting the Mets on Tuesday and they have eyes for more than just Carlos Beltran; they’re also evaluating Scott Hairston as a potential bench bat and Tim Byrdak as a possibly lefty out of the pen.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Tuesday listed the Phillies and Red Sox among the top suitors for Beltran, adding that the Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are also in the mix.
The Phillies would likely lose interest in Hairston if they were able to acquire Beltran or another starting right fielder, but if they decide to stay the course with Dominic Brown there, then another right-handed bat for the bench would be useful. Hairston is hitting .264/.337/.516 with five homers and 19 RBI in 91 at-bats for the Mets this season. He just homered and doubled twice in the Mets’ 11-2 win over the Phillies on Saturday.
Byrdak, another player the Mets should view as expendable, has a 3.70 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. Lefties are hitting .241 against him this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)