Phillies scouting more Mets than just Carlos Beltran

Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT

Scott Hairston AP

According to ESPN New York’s Adam Rubin, the Phillies are scouting the Mets on Tuesday and they have eyes for more than just Carlos Beltran; they’re also evaluating Scott Hairston as a potential bench bat and Tim Byrdak as a possibly lefty out of the pen.

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal on Tuesday listed the Phillies and Red Sox among the top suitors for Beltran, adding that the Giants, Indians, Tigers and Braves are also in the mix.

The Phillies would likely lose interest in Hairston if they were able to acquire Beltran or another starting right fielder, but if they decide to stay the course with Dominic Brown there, then another right-handed bat for the bench would be useful.  Hairston is hitting .264/.337/.516 with five homers and 19 RBI in 91 at-bats for the Mets this season.  He just homered and doubled twice in the Mets’ 11-2 win over the Phillies on Saturday.

Byrdak, another player the Mets should view as expendable, has a 3.70 ERA in 24 1/3 innings.  Lefties are hitting .241 against him this season.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2011 at 7:25 PM

If rumors are to be believed, the Phillies are after every starter on the Mets except the rotation. Who knew that the Mets were that good?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I’m not much of a Beltran fan, but he would really look sweet hitting 5th in their lineup. And he plays RF as well if not better than anyone on the team. Plus, you can put him in Left and spell Ibanez every once in a while. ANYTHING to see Ben $@%#$#^ Francisco off this team.

When Uncle Cholly says he needs a right-handed bat and bullpen help, here is what he is really saying…

“Ben and Baez really, really suck and it pains me to actually put either of them into a game. It makes me feel like I am managing a minor league team when I have to put a scrub like them into the lineup.”

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Rumor has it they are asking for Brown….which just won’t happen. It will all be irrelevant though because Brown is going the other way in the Kemp deal.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM

People are panning Beltran, but the guy can still play. Despite his knees, he is a slightly above average right fielder which is better than anything the Phillies are throwing out there these days. Although the average against lefties is low, he has good power. If they aren’t asking for the world, he would be a valuable addition to the team. He is not a player to deplete the farm for, but a couple decent prospects would be fine by me.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I feel dirty. Beltran is the bat th ey need if they are going that way, but he scares me, and add the dirty factor. I raise one eyebrow with a look of disgust and ask “for who?” before I have an opinion on this.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM

“Fer who? Fer wut?” Ricky Watters

• proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Muddy Watters?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Awwww man, Old “tricky dick waters” The memories…….

PC, The man knew the slide. Didn’t know you were a blues fan. high fives!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Honestly, I don’t know anymore. The anemic offense is starting to piss me off so I feel like something should be done to help….I just don’t know what. There are only a handful of players who would really help…Beltran is one of them. I still hold out hopes for one of the two players who could help out now and in the years to come…Pence or Kemp.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Dear God—TMac and Wheels are driving me insane.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Why? I like Wheels.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM

The two of them yammering on about Wheels’ book and Kindle. But I like the banter between Franzke and Andersen. I guess I just don’t like Wheels—kinda reminds me of McCarver, maybe. And TMac will always be measured up against Harry.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM

As I’ve said, T-Mac was always set up to fail having replaced HK and all. I understand why some don’t like Wheels, but I always have. I do like Larry Anderson. I wish he was on the TV broadcast. My memory about such things isn’t great, but didn’t LA do TV for awhile?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Last night Wheels said “Ramirez likes first pitch home runs” Or something very close. And then it was. I yelled. I wasn’t proud of it, but I yelled. Wheels is a pain in my a$$.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:25 PM

You didn’t like the “The only Kindle we had was firewood,”? I found it kind of clever.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Don’t feel bad, I yell at my TV all the time during Phillies games. Usually it goes something like, “What in the hell are you doing out there. How do you take that spinner right down the middle and swing at that? Expletive Expletive.” Followed by compulsive head shaking.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Chase Utley, you ARE the man!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Indeed…now he steal 3rd.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Those were two ugly slides. Now, Let’s go Rauuuuullll!!!! DO SOMETHING!!!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM

NO!!!! Don’t do THAT!!!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM

They need to platoon Raul at this point. I didn’t realize his numbers against lefties were so terrible until they flashed it up on the screen.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM

When do the STUUUUUUUUUUTES chants start?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Why do you pinch hit for Brown there? The more prudent move would have been to pinch hit for Ibanez the inning before.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Platoon Ibanez and…Mayberry?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Three straight righties for Marshall I guess?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Yes. Mayberry and Ibanez should be a platoon. If they add another outfielder than Brown and Mayberry should platoon. I like Ibanez but I am growing tired of the inconsistent play and lack of range in the outfield.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM

But why wouldn’t you pinch hit for the guy who is 2 for his last 24 against lefties with a runner on 3rd and two outs?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Make that five straight righties—and it worked. How dare you question Chuck’s moves.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM

How did it work…Mayberry ground out weakly. However, way to go Michael Martinez. I like that guy. Been singing his praises for the last ten days. Bat starting to come around, good on the bases, and how about his glove.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Bastardo just gets better and better.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM

Yeah. Bastardo’s getting it done, but what happened to Mad Dog? He was warming up, and then Bastardo came in. Who’s the closer?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I don’t know….I think they stick with Bastardo until (if) he falters. As long as they don’t throw Lidge into the role when he comes back on Friday, I’m happy. Madson/Bastardo can’t really go wrong. Also, I think they call up Jason Grilli and send down Carpenter. They have to call him up in the next couple days or lose him. He is lights out for the Iron Pigs. Maybe the bullpen arms they need are already in the organization.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:43 PM

TMac said Utley turned his ankle sliding into third—hopefully he’s okay.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM

He stayed in the game so it can’t be too bad. Also, he looked fine sliding into home with the same leg.

5. Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I’m with Jonny—no, not literally, ’cause of the whole pie thing. I want to see what the piper wants for Beltran.

And, Jonny—any deal with the Mutts makes you feel dirty.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM