Jul 19, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez was demoted to Triple-A two weeks ago and yesterday general manager Walt Jocketty told Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer that “there is no timetable” for his return to the Reds.
Through two starts at Triple-A he has an 8/5 K/BB ratio in 12 innings and Volquez allowed five runs in six innings there Sunday, causing Jocketty to say that “he’ll return when we’re satisfied that he’s accomplished and improved on the things we sent him down to work on.”
In other words, it’ll be a while.
Volquez started for the Reds on Opening Day, but posted a 5.93 ERA with an 85/55 K/BB ratio in 85 innings spread over 16 starts and this is his second demotion to the minors of 2011. Of course, you can set aside all the numbers and still accurately convey the Reds’ frustration level with Volquez by simply noting that they replaced him in the rotation with Dontrelle Willis.
Since a breakout 2008 season that saw him go 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA and 206 strikeouts Volquez has one Tommy John elbow surgery and a 5.02 ERA in 197 innings.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)