Jul 19, 2011, 7:52 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt threw approximately 50 pitches in a bullpen session before tonight’s game against the Cubs and told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he’s optimistic his back issue is finally behind him.
“I actually felt great,” Oswalt said. “Probably felt as good as I did in spring training.”
Oswalt hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Cardinals on June 23, but his back issue has followed him since his third start of the season. He received a cortisone injection in his back in late-April to little effect, but said today that he is pain-free after he received another injection two days before the All-Star break.
The tentative plan is for Oswalt to throw another bullpen session Friday, which could clear the way for him to make a minor league rehab start next week. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Phillies’ rotation in early August.
Oswalt, 33, is 4-6 with a 3.79 ERA and 42/18 K/BB ratio over 13 starts this season. He has averaged a career-low 5.30 K/9 and 91.2 mph on his fastball, though his back has undoubtedly affected his performance.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 65
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)