Jul 19, 2011, 7:52 PM EST
Roy Oswalt threw approximately 50 pitches in a bullpen session before tonight’s game against the Cubs and told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he’s optimistic his back issue is finally behind him.
“I actually felt great,” Oswalt said. “Probably felt as good as I did in spring training.”
Oswalt hasn’t pitched since leaving a start against the Cardinals on June 23, but his back issue has followed him since his third start of the season. He received a cortisone injection in his back in late-April to little effect, but said today that he is pain-free after he received another injection two days before the All-Star break.
The tentative plan is for Oswalt to throw another bullpen session Friday, which could clear the way for him to make a minor league rehab start next week. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Phillies’ rotation in early August.
Oswalt, 33, is 4-6 with a 3.79 ERA and 42/18 K/BB ratio over 13 starts this season. He has averaged a career-low 5.30 K/9 and 91.2 mph on his fastball, though his back has undoubtedly affected his performance.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)