Jul 19, 2011, 9:07 PM EDT
Ryan Braun is back in the starting lineup tonight against the Diamondbacks. He was held out of the lineup the previous two days after leaving Saturday’s game with recurring tightness in his left calf.
While this is a positive development for a lineup that was blanked by Josh Collmenter last night, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports that Braun won’t play all nine innings. Instead, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke would prefer to ease him back into the lineup.
“We’re going to try to get him back where there are no setbacks,” said Roenicke. “He felt great today; he wanted to play. It may be on an off (between nine innings and shorter appearances). A lot depends on how he feels. I saw him running yesterday and he was really good. He’s way better than he was a few days ago.”
Braun has missed 10 out of the last 13 games with the injury and while he told Haudricourt that he’s “done talking” about the injury and just wants to play, this seems like a very risky thing to do with one of your most important players.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 18
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 61
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2