Sunday is Hall of Fame Induction Day

Jul 19, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT

blyleven

Hall of Fame Induction Day always sneaks up on me. I rarely read or hear about it until the week leading up to it.  Which, in today’s media environment is kind of strange when you think about it. But it has done it again: Hall of Fame Induction Day is this Sunday.

For those who totally tuned out the crazy arguing back and forth back during election time or simply buried it deep, deep down somewhere where the vitriol can’t hurt you, please recall that Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven and Pat Gillick are going into the Hall.  It will be a joyous occasion.  Well, at least until the ceremony is over. At that point the members of the Blyleven-for-the-Hall Industrial Complex which has grown over the years may find themselves empty and adrift.  What these brave warriors will do with no battle left to fight frightens me to some degree, I’ll admit. And that’s the case even though I consider myself to be a low-ranking foot soldier in that army.

Actually, now that I think about it, this will be one of the last inductions which will not be accompanied by cries of bloody murder on behalf of those who should be in but aren’t because of the PED mess, so I presume that — if we can make it past this next year — the Blyleven Brigade can scale up to fight that battle and thus won’t be loose and aimless on our city streets. Probably safe for all of us.

That business aside, congratulations, inductees.

1. kopy - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I thought the Blyleven-for-the-hall committee party was being moved to Tim Raines’ house. Did no one else get that invite?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Rains belongs in the Hall.

• nolanwiffle - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Didn’t he just miss being voted in by ten votes….or was it “Blyleven”? Loves me some Berman!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I think that is the first time anybody—at least here on HBT—has professed anything other than profound animosity toward Chris Berman.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Sunday is Roberto Alomar day. Contrary to popular belief, the most important home run in Jays history was not hit by Joe Carter. Alomar hit a home run in the playoffs against Eckersly that got the team over the hump. With that homer, the Jays knew that they were no longer wannabe’s and instead could go all the way.

3. theonlynolan - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM

There are a lot of deserving players who deserve the same support Blyleven received. Off the top of my head Trammel, Whitaker, Martinez, Santo and the above mentioned Raines all deserve strong consideration and eventual induction. What the writers did to Whitaker is almost criminal and probably the biggest oversight in recent memory.

• lampdwellr - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

19 thumbs up on some Lou Whitaker love makes me confident I have chosen the right place to read about baseball.

Such a long list of undervoted people, and it’s only going to get worse if we’re going to hold a guy like the never-associated-with-PEDs Bagwell out because people think he MIGHT have used. It’s going to get even worse than that in the next few years, too.

4. nategearhart - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Sunday is Hall Induction day, and sadly, on Monday the last ever article about Bert Blyleven will be written.

5. natstowngreg - Jul 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Part of the Blyleven Brigade consisted of fans who think certain players should be in the Hall, and Bert was one of those players. Now that he’s in, these fans will advocate for someone else, keeping them occupied and off the streets.

Then there are the Twins fans. Where will they channel their energies? Citizens of the Twin Cities should be warned.

• docktorellis - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Twins fans will channel their psychic energies toward passing the strange attractor and then continuing their ascent toward the top of the AL Central. Although last night’s doubleheader left me with an admittedly sour taste in my mouth that could only be washed free with a healthy dose of sour mash.

Also, Craig, you dropped the ball by not running this photo:

6. Matthew Pouliot - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I always used mark HoF induction day on the calendar well in advance. After all, that was the day we’d get Sunday night baseball without Joe Morgan!

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug