Jul 19, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT
Sizemore underwent an MRI on Monday and according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the initial report from the Indians is that the bone bruise is not the same kind of injury that caused him to have microfracture surgery on his left knee last season.
“It doesn’t appear to be anything as serious as my fears,” said manager Manny Acta.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after injuring his right knee in June. While today’s news is encouraging, there is no current timetable for his return.
Despite his knee problems, Hoynes writes that “chances are good” that the Indians will exercise Sizemore’s $8.5 million club option for 2012. The 28-year-old is batting .237/.304/.466 with 10 home runs and 29 RBI over 257 plate appearances this season. He is 0-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 23
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)