Jul 19, 2011, 8:33 PM EDT
Sizemore underwent an MRI on Monday and according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the initial report from the Indians is that the bone bruise is not the same kind of injury that caused him to have microfracture surgery on his left knee last season.
“It doesn’t appear to be anything as serious as my fears,” said manager Manny Acta.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after injuring his right knee in June. While today’s news is encouraging, there is no current timetable for his return.
Despite his knee problems, Hoynes writes that “chances are good” that the Indians will exercise Sizemore’s $8.5 million club option for 2012. The 28-year-old is batting .237/.304/.466 with 10 home runs and 29 RBI over 257 plate appearances this season. He is 0-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (119)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)