Jul 19, 2011, 8:33 PM EST
Sizemore underwent an MRI on Monday and according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the initial report from the Indians is that the bone bruise is not the same kind of injury that caused him to have microfracture surgery on his left knee last season.
“It doesn’t appear to be anything as serious as my fears,” said manager Manny Acta.
Sizemore missed just two weeks after injuring his right knee in June. While today’s news is encouraging, there is no current timetable for his return.
Despite his knee problems, Hoynes writes that “chances are good” that the Indians will exercise Sizemore’s $8.5 million club option for 2012. The 28-year-old is batting .237/.304/.466 with 10 home runs and 29 RBI over 257 plate appearances this season. He is 0-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 0
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 31
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 12
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 133
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (133)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)