The Phillies have inquired about Leo Nunez

Jul 19, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT

Nunez_Leo

If you’ve been reading all the best websites, you know that the Phillies want both a reliever and a bat.  As far as the reliever goes, Jerry Crasnick reports that the Phillies have spoken with the Marlins about Leo Nunez. He of the 1.19 WHIP and 27 saves in 30 opportunities.

Crasnick says that the Marlins would want some starting pitching in return.  If there’s anything the Phillies are good on right now, it’s starting pitching, so their status as division rivals notwithstanding, this could be a good fit.

1. b7p19 - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Nope, you want to overpay for Heath Bell….trust me….you do.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM

NinJr. mind tricks trump Jedi mind tricks any day of the week.

• b7p19 - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

*sighs while nodding*

2. Phillies Homer - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I like Leo… but as the opposition. We usually hit this guy around a bit!

3. FC - Jul 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Starting Pitching? I assume they may want someone in AA or AAA? Because at the ML level they are on their 6th (Kendrick) and 7th (Worley) starters. Any more injuries or subtraction and that’s the end of the rotation, which is the only thing keeping them competitive.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

“Competitive”

LOL…never heard the Best Record in Baseball referred to as “Competitive”

• FC - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM

The Best Record in Baseball doesn’t win you the World Series.

4. bleedgreen - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

What the hell is Blanton’s status anyway? Haven’t heard a word about him in MONTHS.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM

He’s standing in line at Jim’s on South Street.

But seriously, we haven’t heard a peep about Blanton.

• bigxrob - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

this was posted 7/17
        “Blanton had a little hiccup yesterday,” said Proefrock. “Depending upon how he feels [Sunday] he may be coming back to Philadelphia to see Dr. [Michael] Ciccotti.

“He did not throw his bullpen [Saturday]. He said he could have thrown it but had a little discomfort and didn’t want to push it.”

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hair, you are my kind of Phillies’ fan. I salute you.

• bleedgreen - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

So from ‘Blanton’s got a strained elbow’ to hearing nothing for 2 months and its a ‘hiccup’ and he won’t be pitching this year again. Awesome investment there…

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Blanton and hiccups…hmm…

Well, it seems less and less likely that he’ll be back. Hey, VW, kick off your shoes, it looks like you might be here for a while.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Hair, I think that I told you before, but if not, your handle was the inspiration for the bicepts.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Halladay, I had seen veiled mention of that before, but I think it was somebody bashing you for some pre-purgatory comment.

• spudchukar - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM

The Mutual Admiration Society must have opened a new fraternal order in Philadelphia.

• bigxrob - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I heard yesterday or the day before (can’t remember where) that he had pain again in his elbow.
      He had to miss a bull pen session and there was talk of visiting the doctor.

Man, my memory is not what it used to be, the facts of this comment are sketchy at best.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

You heard correct. It is looking like he will be out for the season.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Good Doctor,

Welcome. Good to see you post again, my friend.

• jeffhink - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Blanton is helping the Phillies more than ever by not pitching for the rest of the season.

• FC - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM

That’s an expensive kind of help, too bad Ruben was unable to shop him. He would have looked like a genius.

5. paulsdamnblog - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM

@bleedgreen, follow the link for an update on Blanton— http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/477983/joe-blanton

6. halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM

No thankyou, sir. Leo Nunez does not do it for me. Try again.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM

It is an upgrade over a majority of the Phillies bullpen at this point. I guess it depends on the demands for Mike Adams compared to Nunez. No question that Adams is the better pitcher, but what if they can get Nunez on the cheap and use their prospects to acquire a reasonable right handed bat. I say go balls to the wall and try to get Hunter Pence…..or aim ridiculously high and try for Matt Kemp.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Honestly, we have no idea what the Phillies will do. We will see. Good Doctor, I give up trying to figure out what they will do.

7. philly56 - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Blanton’s status is he’s fat and sucks at pitching. Worley is doing far better than Blanton would be, and when Oswalt comes back kendrick can go away too.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

only way oswalt is coming back is if your watching reruns of games from May

• jeffhink - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM

So I guess the timetable for him to come back towards the end of August that hasn’t been shifted since he got hurt is just wrong? Care to say why?

8. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM

i love the idea, i can see this kid bringing the gas cans to the mound in the late innings!! Yes!! Yes!!

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM

dirtyharry1971,

You are a great poster. I enjoy your input.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Actually, I think you are one of the best commenters to ever grace hardballtalk. I commend you, dirtyharry.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Oh, I get it…this is some sort of reverse psychology or something….

9. Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Nunez would help the Phillies be better, and that’s what a move should do. They have a waste of space in Baez and once they release him they can have an effective reliever take his spot. Kendrick was/is their long relief that is now starting and Blanton as well as Jose C. may not be back. Lidge is a crap shoot. On top of that, Oswalt could be done for all we know.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Should no more about Oswalt today. Supposed to throw a bullpen today and Friday. If all goes well, then he expected to go on rehab assignments next week. They brass said that it wouldn’t be all that long on the farm as well.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

know not no….where is that edit function. I don’t want to hear any nonsense about not being able to have that future on wordpress. There was some computer guy posting on here one day that said it was possible.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!! edit function…………………

10. drunkenhooliganism - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Leo Nunez is not a guy I want pitching in the playoffs for my team. Amaro must be playing mindtricks on the rest of the league and hoping another contender overpays for Nunez and leaves Uehera and Adams and Bell available for the Phillies to pick up.

I don’t want Chad Qualls either. If we’re gonna pick up useless garbage, let’s stay with the useless garbage we already have and not mortgage the farm.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5044)