Which GMs are on the hot seat?

Jul 19, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT

hendry-110116.standard[1]

Ken Rosenthal complies a list of the general managers who may be on the move after this season, be it by their own volition or via defenestration (figuratively speaking, with the possible exception of Jim Hendry, who could literally be defenestrated).

I can’t disagree with most of his list. I think Hendry has to go because someone has to take the fall for that awful roster in Chicago.  Ed Wade should have been gone on merit before now, but will likely be let go when new ownership takes over.  Some of the walk candidates also seem sensible, particularly Brian Cashman and Andy MacPhail, neither of whom probably enjoy dealing with their bosses too much.

I think we’re going to see more GM turnover this winter than we’ve seen in a long time. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood.

1. paperlions - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM

A+ for use of defenestration, even if it is kind of forced….just the fact that the word exists is fun…so it should be used more often.

• CJ - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I had to look that one up myself, but I love it now. Consider it added to my lexicon.

As for Wade, I really don’t see how he would be on the hot seat. Even if he loses his current position, I’m sure he’ll remain on the Phils payroll in some capacity or another. Hopefully as a GM for another team.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Gotta agree with you there. Great word when used naturally. Like the old lady in Gremlins was defenestrated by her stair chair.

• nategearhart - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Remember when Alan Rickman was defenestrated in Die Hard? Choice.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM

The Die Hard series has to be the best series of movies I’ve seen. Though I also loved seeing Bruce Willis bite it in Armageddon.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM

I preferred the Citizen Kane series: Citizen Kane, The Return of Citizen Kane, 3 Citizen 3 Kane with its hip-hop soundtrack, and of course Citizen Kane Versus Mothra, where Susan Alexander returns as a singing elf. Nothing in Die Hard could touch that.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM

oh my god I love that word. I am quite surprised I’ve never really looked it up until now — since I write about crime for a living, you’d think that would have come up by now. Although Idaho doesn’t have as many multi-story buildings as say, New York, so maybe there isn’t much call for it. Although back in college a friend of mine got thrown through a ground-floor plate-glass window in a bar brawl. Would’ve loved to have been able to use defenestration then.

• cur68 - Jul 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM

When you drape an area for surgery one of the drapes is called a ‘fenestrated drape’. Meaning it has a window in it. So if you ever have a to mention windows in wall or describe a house (not unlikely, right?) you can say ‘there were # fenestrations in the wall/house”.

As for GMs, its been my contention that Cashman has been actively seeking to get fired. How else to explain his odd behavior in the spring? On the other side of the coin; how long before Jay’s GM Alex Anthopolous feels his chair warming up too much? Probably has a lifetime freon supply in his chair after ditching Well, signing Bautista and sundry other clever little moves. So far, he’s been pretty good for the Jays. Bit of a contrast to Riccardi.

2. rcali - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM

MacPhailure? What a surprise.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I’ll go to the mattresses for Cashman. He’ll stay. Beep-beep can go.

• patsandsox - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I think Cashman takes a lot of flack and doesnt get the respect he deserves. Every year the Yankees are in the thick of things (oh yeah 2008 but just about every year). I think if he walks or gets let go he has a job fast with another team.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

G’bye Hendry. Shoulda left in 2006.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Milton Bradley would like a word with you.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Ever since I heard Hendry say he had a nice dinner with Milton and thought he was a good guy and would be a good fit on the Cubs, my opinion fell through the floor. What an idiot…actually both of them are idiots.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Hendry probably found out Bradley likes pie.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:45 PM

no way Bradley likes pie or even knows what it is. he’s a cake man all the way.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Dude clearly is nuts—and I’ve never seen nor heard a cake with nuts in it…so there…empirical proof that Milton Bradley likes pie. Yup. Right there.

5. nategearhart - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM

The Baltimore Sun has a reporter named Peter Schmuck?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:10 PM

A reporter named Schmuck…where’s Gator when you need him?

• 18thstreet - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I’m sure this is the first time anyone has made fun of his name. Kudos to you both for this clever observation, since I’m sure he chose his last name, much as the rest of us did.

• FC - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Well…the dude can legally change his name if he wants to you know…

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Having lived through it my entire life, I know. But there have been people known to change their name for easy recognition, not that I’m saying that is the case here.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:17 AM

With a name like Schmuck (which for the benefit of our goyim out there literally means “penis”), his writing has to be good.

6. hep3 - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Juan Pierre 5 years, $45 million
    Jason Schmidt, 3 years, $46 million
    Juan Uribe, 3 years, $21 million
    Manny Ramirez, 2 years, $40 million (doesn’t count PED suspension)
    Rafael Furcal, 6 years, $78 million
    Andruw Jones, 2 years $36 million (now mostly deferred in McCourt’s style)
    Casey Blake for Carlos Santana

Someone remind me why Ned Coletti has a job. Is he still on the Giants payroll?

• Kevin S. - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:25 PM

He’s just following McCourt’s MO!

7. flyinhighwithvick - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Ed Wade around? Oh Ed Wade….won’t see him no more.

8. The Baseball Idiot - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

How can Dayton Moore not be on this list?

• nategearhart - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM

David Glass is a very patient/indifferent/oblivious man.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I bet because of the influx of young talent about to invade Kansas City.

9. parlorboss - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Murray Chass’ upcoming work is entitled “The Defenestration of Blogs.”

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Murray Chass should be defenestrated.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Throwing someone out a basement window isn’t usually effective, unless he gets stuck and there’s a water hose nearby.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM

He looks like he’d get stuck anyway. You’d rather he got Dansoned like in Creep Show?

10. nomoreseasontix - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Billy Beane has got to wind up in this conversation. His “Moneyball” crap has been shown to be just that. The obsession with OBP and pitching doesn’t seem to be a winning combination. The A’s have been perennially mediocre to horrible for years. Pitching is important, but pitchers don’t score runs.
    Maybe the ridiculously transparent ploy of the current ownership to degrade the on field product to kill attendance, easing the move to San Jose will wither and die. The owners might get bored with it.

Ummm… How’d I get way over here? Oh yeah…. Fire Beane.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“Pitching is important, but pitchers don’t score runs in the AL because of the lamea$$ DH.”

There…fixed it for you.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM

We got another one, Jimmy! What do we do with him?

• reospeedwagon916 - Jul 19, 2011 at 5:59 PM

He owns part of the team so he would have to step down or take a phony promotion.

• Ari Collins - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Don’t forget how he wrote Moneyball and it’s all about OBP. And how his excellent teams have in the playoffs and are therefore no good at all.

• Ari Collins - Jul 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM

*have lost in the playoffs

11. mrfloydpink - Jul 19, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I am surprised nobody has commented on the very excellent “Godfather” reference.

• Ryan - Jul 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

You know, it’s unbelievable. Earlier today, I read that last line and thought, “What a weird way to phrase that, ‘every five years or so, ten years.’” Tonight, I watched The Godfather for the first time, and my mind = blown. (Yeah, yeah, I can’t believe I haven’t seen it either)

12. Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM

I truly believe that Hendry should be defenestrated, even if it means he lands on the wrought iron fleur de lis palings of the security fence or becomes a special assistant to Larry Beinfest in Macondo. Whatever it takes to make Slobbering Ozzie or his execrable offspring happy and comfortable in Chicago and obviates any need, or desire, however remote and unlikely, to migrate southward.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5089)