Jul 20, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Aramis Ramirez has reportedly informed the Cubs that he’d likely use the no-trade clause in his contract to block any deal, but Alfonso Soriano indicated yesterday that he wouldn’t stand in the way of a trade.
Of course, according to Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com Soriano didn’t even realize he had a no-trade clause in his contract when the subject was first broached by reporters, so he probably hasn’t thought about the situation a whole lot.
Soriano is 35 years old and still owed $18 million in 2012, 2013, and 2014 as part of the eight-year, $136 million deal Chicago foolishly gave him in November of 2006, so the odds of the Cubs being able to move that contract are slim unless they’re willing to eat a significant percentage of the remaining money.
For his part Soriano told Mooney that he’d like to remain in Chicago, and with a .294 on-base percentage and .744 OPS contenders presumably won’t be beating down the Cubs’ door to make a play for him. On the other hand, this offseason the Blue Jays were able to convince the Angels to take Vernon Wells‘ deal off their hands, so anything is possible.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)