Jul 20, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
This is neat. I’m surprised I’m reading this in the New York Times instead of hearing it on some longish NPR segment, but it’s neat anyway. Anthony Tommasini, chief music critic of the Times, describes a day at Yankee Stadium — a week ago Sunday, in fact — from an aural point of view, as though the game itself and all of the surrounding noise was a symphony of sorts:
For all the hubbub of constant sound it is amazing how clearly the crack of a bat, the whoosh of a pitch (at least from the powerhouse Sabathia), and the leathery thud of the ball smothered in the catcher’s mitt cut through the textures. And if the hum of chattering provides the unbroken timeline and undulant ripple of this baseball symphony, the voices that break through from all around are like striking, if fleeting, solo instruments.
That passage may sound a bit over-the-top, but it’s a really great column overall.
I don’t go to nearly as many baseball games as a lot of you, so maybe I’m just more sensitive to it, but I always take a few minutes to simply listen to it all, often with my eyes closed, so I get exactly what Tommasini is going on about.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)