Jul 20, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
This is neat. I’m surprised I’m reading this in the New York Times instead of hearing it on some longish NPR segment, but it’s neat anyway. Anthony Tommasini, chief music critic of the Times, describes a day at Yankee Stadium — a week ago Sunday, in fact — from an aural point of view, as though the game itself and all of the surrounding noise was a symphony of sorts:
For all the hubbub of constant sound it is amazing how clearly the crack of a bat, the whoosh of a pitch (at least from the powerhouse Sabathia), and the leathery thud of the ball smothered in the catcher’s mitt cut through the textures. And if the hum of chattering provides the unbroken timeline and undulant ripple of this baseball symphony, the voices that break through from all around are like striking, if fleeting, solo instruments.
That passage may sound a bit over-the-top, but it’s a really great column overall.
I don’t go to nearly as many baseball games as a lot of you, so maybe I’m just more sensitive to it, but I always take a few minutes to simply listen to it all, often with my eyes closed, so I get exactly what Tommasini is going on about.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)