Jul 20, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
This is neat. I’m surprised I’m reading this in the New York Times instead of hearing it on some longish NPR segment, but it’s neat anyway. Anthony Tommasini, chief music critic of the Times, describes a day at Yankee Stadium — a week ago Sunday, in fact — from an aural point of view, as though the game itself and all of the surrounding noise was a symphony of sorts:
For all the hubbub of constant sound it is amazing how clearly the crack of a bat, the whoosh of a pitch (at least from the powerhouse Sabathia), and the leathery thud of the ball smothered in the catcher’s mitt cut through the textures. And if the hum of chattering provides the unbroken timeline and undulant ripple of this baseball symphony, the voices that break through from all around are like striking, if fleeting, solo instruments.
That passage may sound a bit over-the-top, but it’s a really great column overall.
I don’t go to nearly as many baseball games as a lot of you, so maybe I’m just more sensitive to it, but I always take a few minutes to simply listen to it all, often with my eyes closed, so I get exactly what Tommasini is going on about.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)