Brad Lidge eyes Friday return to Phillies’ bullpen

Jul 20, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

lidge getty Getty Images

Brad Lidge made his eighth minor-league rehab appearance today, throwing a scoreless inning at Single-A, and David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that he may be cleared to come off the disabled list as soon as Friday.

Lidge has been mostly impressive in the minors, allowing three runs in 7.2 innings while striking out 10 and walking just one, but he hasn’t pitched for the Phillies since last October due to arm problems.

Philadelphia is said to be in the market for bullpen help, with some reports pegging them as the front-runners to acquire Heath Bell or Mike Adams from the Padres, but Lidge returning Friday and putting together a few impressive outings could change the Phillies’ plans a bit heading into the July 31 trade deadline.

Lidge figures to return as a setup man, with both Ryan Madson and Antonio Bastardo ahead of him on the closer depth chart.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I will welcome back Lidge. He proved last season that he only has to hit 87-89 on the fastball to be effective as long as he spots it. Still has a wicked slider which was said to be sharp and his get me over slider. Big upgrade over whoever they will send down.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Bye-bye-Baez?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I don’t think they waive Baez. More likely they send down Perez or Herndon, keeping Carpenter in long relief until Oswalt comes back and Kendrick slides into that role.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM

(Damn me—now I have that godawful boy band song stuck in my head!)

Based on your comment, I vote for Herndon to check out the bullpen in Allentown.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I vote Perez. Can’t throw strikes.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM

BAHAHA!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM

They must release Baez. Straight up release his a$$.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Out of Herndon, Carpenter, Baez, and Perez…Baez will be the last to go. He is terrible, there is no dispute about that, however, his contribution to the bullpen goes beyond pitching and is valuable.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

No, he sucks. And he’s no pitching whisperer either or he’d figure his own self out.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

But who will translate for Bastardo and Contreas?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Charlie! He’s a man of many talents he is.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Terrible! It’s bad enough that the Feelies already have the best record in baseball. How will they ever become competitive with Mitch Wil…heh, I mean, Brad Lidge closing?

2. liquidgrammar - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM

take this for what its worth, but some guy on Mike Missanelli’s radio show called and said that his company got an order to move Ryan Madson’s house. again, I have no clue if this guy is credible or not, I’m just passing along what I heard!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Madson won’t be traded. I don’t think the will be in Philadelphia after the season, but I have a hard time believing that they will trade him. Despite the emergence of Bastardo, Madson is their most reliable bullpen arm down the stretch.

3. Phillies Homer - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Anybody else watching V Dub deal right now? Finally let the Cubs get a hit after 4.1 innings of no hit ball.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Bastards at work won’t let me watch…so I’m listening online—Franzke/LA.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM

8 zip, a laugh-er so far. I don’t want to see this kid or Brown go anywhere in a trade to rent Beltran. Vance doesn’t project as more than #4 but the dude has not been figured out yet has he?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Projections are bullshit. He is and will be a legit 2.5/3 on most major league staffs in my opinion. Agree on Brown. Don’t want or see them moving him for Beltran. The beat writers don’t see that as happening either. The root of it was some nonsense Heyman was spewing.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Imagine if this kid didn’t burst out onto the scene… Who would be the Phillies 5th starter in this situation?? (assuming Kendrick slides to 4th)… Carpenter?? Or you think they’d force Blanton to get his fat ass in better shape… haha

Did the Phillies even know what they had in Worley prior to this season? Talk about a diamond in the rough.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I think they kind of realized it toward the end of this season, but nobody thought he would be this good. I don’t know what they would have done without his emergence this season. My guess is that Brian Gordon, now in Korea, would have gotten a shot.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Well we’ll see. Everyone was sporting erectile tissue over Happ as well and he’s kind of crapped out.

Oh, Ibanez got a hit, miracles do happen.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I think the situation with Happ was completely different. He always had a problem throwing strikes and he would get hitters out on the same pitch…that high fastball that Botalico called the “Invisible Ball”. Furthermore, he allowed a bunch of base runners but had an unsustainable batting average against with RISP.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

This Rollins kid might be good someday. The Franzke/LA banter is great.

• Phillies Homer - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Wow… I almost was ready to defend Happ a little by saying everything goes to Houston to die, etc… etc… But, then I looked up what he has done this year: ERA close to 6! Winless in his last 9 starts…

Sorry Happ… you’re on your own buddy!

But, like mentioned above. Happ never had the success that Worley is having right now. Even if Worley does come back down to earth he’ll be a better pitcher than Kendrick or any other guy they could have called up.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:34 PM

This guy is never overly optimistic mind you, but it’s worth a read. Interesting to say the least.

5. Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:03 PM

VW mowin’ ‘em down.

• FC - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Wait, What? Are the Phillies running over the cubs with a Beetle?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:18 PM

A VW bus.

6. evanwins - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I have to agree – I really see something in Worley I didn’t see in Happ. He has great stuff, is a bit deceptive in his delivery and pitches very smart. Today was a perfect example: The Cubs have been extremely comfortable at the plate all series, Worley made it a point to move their feet by pitching inside. Result:3 hits in eight innings. WHether or not he can keep it up for a season, let alone a career, remains to be seen. But I’d like to see what happens while he’s in a Phillies uniform.

Phillies have 2 excellent 1st base prospects, trade them…

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3685)