Jul 20, 2011, 12:04 PM EDT
There’s a decent chance that the Ripkens are going to join the Bells and the Boones as a three-generation major league family one day. Meet Ryan Ripken:
Ryan Ripken has been selected to play in the Under Armour All-America Baseball Game, which will be held next month at Wrigley Field in Chicago. Over the first three years of the game, 88 of the 103 draft-eligible players who competed in the game were selected in the Major League Baseball amateur draft — including 18 first-round picks.
At 6’6″, Cal’s son may be a better basketball player than a baseball player, though. Still, you have to figure that someone is going to go with the bloodlines when his name pops up on the draft boards next year. And even if no one else does, the O’s will snag him. All that said, he’s hitting the ball well and is reportedly getting scholarship offers already.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39