Jul 20, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Well, so much for that.
Earlier this afternoon there were rumors about the Cubs talking to Pat Gillick, the longtime general manager set to be inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend, but team president Tom Ricketts wasted little time denying those reports.
Ricketts issued a statement that reads: “While Tom respects Pat Gillick’s Hall of Fame career, reports of a conversation are unfounded.”
WSCR-670 in Chicago started the speculation by quoting an unnamed source, which was then picked up by the Chicago Tribune. Lotta smoke, but no fire. Unless the Cubs realize it might not be such a bad idea and decide to talk to Gillick now, of course.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games