Jul 20, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Well, so much for that.
Earlier this afternoon there were rumors about the Cubs talking to Pat Gillick, the longtime general manager set to be inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend, but team president Tom Ricketts wasted little time denying those reports.
Ricketts issued a statement that reads: “While Tom respects Pat Gillick’s Hall of Fame career, reports of a conversation are unfounded.”
WSCR-670 in Chicago started the speculation by quoting an unnamed source, which was then picked up by the Chicago Tribune. Lotta smoke, but no fire. Unless the Cubs realize it might not be such a bad idea and decide to talk to Gillick now, of course.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)