Jul 20, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
Well, so much for that.
Earlier this afternoon there were rumors about the Cubs talking to Pat Gillick, the longtime general manager set to be inducted into the Hall of Fame this weekend, but team president Tom Ricketts wasted little time denying those reports.
Ricketts issued a statement that reads: “While Tom respects Pat Gillick’s Hall of Fame career, reports of a conversation are unfounded.”
WSCR-670 in Chicago started the speculation by quoting an unnamed source, which was then picked up by the Chicago Tribune. Lotta smoke, but no fire. Unless the Cubs realize it might not be such a bad idea and decide to talk to Gillick now, of course.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)