Jul 20, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Danny Valencia‘s walk-off single against Chris Perez last night was dramatic enough, coming with the bases loaded and turning a 1-0 Indians lead into a 2-1 Twins victory, but their back story added to the drama.
Valencia and Perez have been friends since high school, played together at the University of Miami, and were roommates for two years. And after Valencia handed Perez just his second blown save of the season he also handed him some pillows and blankets, with the Indians closer staying at the Twins third baseman’s place for the night.
Asked about their postgame plans for the evening, Valencia replied: “We’re just going to watch highlights over and over.”
If Valencia’s hand didn’t end up in a bowl of hot water Perez is a better friend than me.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (330)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)