Jul 20, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Danny Valencia‘s walk-off single against Chris Perez last night was dramatic enough, coming with the bases loaded and turning a 1-0 Indians lead into a 2-1 Twins victory, but their back story added to the drama.
Valencia and Perez have been friends since high school, played together at the University of Miami, and were roommates for two years. And after Valencia handed Perez just his second blown save of the season he also handed him some pillows and blankets, with the Indians closer staying at the Twins third baseman’s place for the night.
Asked about their postgame plans for the evening, Valencia replied: “We’re just going to watch highlights over and over.”
If Valencia’s hand didn’t end up in a bowl of hot water Perez is a better friend than me.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 61
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)