Jul 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Hedge fund/poker god David Einhorn has been assumed to have an all but done deal to buy a minority share in the Mets, but the New York Daily News reports that the Wilpons are talking to other potential investors, even as they continue to try to finalize a deal with Einhorn.
Which is their right, because the exclusivity period for negotiations with Einhorn ended a couple of weeks ago. Einhorn, the Daily News reports, has been driving a hard bargain on some final details, so the Wilpons are talking to others, including commodities trader Ray Bartoszek.
The thinking: Einhorn is still probably going to get his stake, but a deal had better get done soon lest the Mets find others who are willing to give them a sweeter deal.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 40
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)