“Derek Jeter 3K” to air July 28th

Jul 20, 2011, 11:35 AM EST

jeter presser getty Getty Images

Remember that documentary HBO is doing about Derek Jeter‘s pursuit of his 3000th hit, “Derek Jeter 3K?”  It’s a go.

It’s airing on July 28th at 9PM on HBO.  Smart scheduling, in that the Yankees are off that night. Sure, there are 12 other baseball games that hardcore fans would probably be better off watching, but it’s a free country.  If you’re curious, this is what you’re going to get for your hour’s worth:

For the first time ever, Jeter wore a microphone during two games including the one where he reached the 3,000 career hit milestone.  He also allowed MLB Productions camera crews to follow him on multiple occasions and in a variety of settings, including in his home and during rehabilitation from a calf injury.  “DEREK JETER 3K” also will feature exclusive interview footage with the Yankee captain which was recorded shortly after he became only the 28th player in MLB history to achieve the milestone.

Still mic’d up afterward, eh?  I wonder if he was caught on tape saying “Wow, you mean that dude is just going to give me the ball?  Hey, Woodhouse — tear up that $500K check we had ready, will ya?  Or, I don’t know, spend it on something I might like.  I don’t care.”

1. rynev - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I wonder if they caught him threatening to throw Woodhouse’s clothes off the balcony if he didn’t properly rip up the check.

• itsacurse - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Archer: I have to go. But if I find one single dog hair when I get back, I’ll rub…sand…in your dead little eyes.
      Woodhouse: Very good, sir.
      Archer: [pause] I also need you to buy sand.
      Woodhouse: Yes, sir.
      Archer: I don’t know if they grade it, but…coarse.

2. targeese - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Really looking forward to the HBO documentary when Jim Thome pops his 600th home run, which will be 4 times rarer than gathering 3000 hits, even including all the roiders*

*Roiders were directly responsible for helping Jeter get to 5 rings. Just thought I’d mention that.

• CliffC - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Which will be comparable in length to Ken Burns Civil War since he is a part time DH. Would be fun to see all the banter that goes on in the dugout though.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM

You beat me to the Thome post. Seeing how he hit another homer over the weekend he is only 4 away. I assume we will get all the articles about Thome being the embodiment of all that is good in the baseball world and other ESPN propaganda after he hits it. I wonder when they will start the Thome watch?

3. Panda Claus - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Too bad Jeter 3K is only airing on HBO. Had it been on ESPN or network the ratings might have beaten the recent All-Star game.

Ah who am I fooling? It’ll probably still beat the ASG even if it aired only on local access in NYC.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2011 at 1:45 PM

It would have been more interesting if they had got Ken Burns direct it. I do not get HBO. Should I complain to Prime Minister Harper? Nevermind! He is not a Yankees fan either.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 20, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Calm down Proudly, HBO is going to do a special on your jays also, its about how they live in .500 Hell for the last 10 years. Although this year might be the year they break that as they look posed to finish “below” .500 this season

• cur68 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Know what HBO should do a special on? dirtyharry1971 producing a post that isn’t rife with misspellings, poor grammar and isn’t derogatory to someone else. Dude can’t type, spell, or use a common comma without committing a crime, so I’m not sure why he’s bashing others or their teams. Topic of the doc would be the wonderful effects of reading up on the uses of courtesy, politeness and not being a giant douchey troll every time he rears his ugly bloghandle on HBT.

• spudchukar - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

I love it when your Beaver Fur stands on end.

4. pjmitch - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Is Jeter the only guy that has ever reached 3,000 hits?? Just wondering. This is becoming a mockery.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I thought the Blue Network did the “show about nothing” decades ago.

6. ssazz - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Here’s a suggestion for the endless parade of crybabies around here. Don’t watch. Spend that time cleaning the sand out of, oh… wherever. Derek Jeter is not the only player to hit 3,000, and no one ever made such a suggestion? Straw, meet man. But it seems a lot of people simply do not understand running a business in any way whatsoever. HBO is in the business of getting ratings and adding subscribers, that is why they followed the most popular player of his generation, who plays in the biggest media market in the nation. It’s not rocket science, and that formula isn’t negated simply because there are people who whine on the internet about how much they hate Jeter. Craig didn’t need to write about the special, but he needed to get those digs in, and to get some traffic as well. That’s fine, but you don’t get to have it both ways. When some of the geniuses around here are running their own cable networks, they can program them as they see fit. And this idea that Jim Thome is going to hit his 600th HR but no one is going to acknowledge it, or write about it, or put it into historical context, or talk about his career and what his teammates and managers or coaches have to say about him afterward, is the phoniest manufactured outrage going today.

• spudchukar - Jul 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM

When the most positive claim you can make about the star of Derek Jeter 3K is that he was the most popular player you know your reaching. And even that his highly debatable.

• jeffrp - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:51 PM

So you think there aren’t positive claims to make about Derek Jeter? Really?

How about this one: With Derek Jeter they Yankees have received more production out of the SS position from 1996 – 2011 than every other team in baseball.

Here is what every hater leaves unsaid but knows in his heart to be true: “I wish he had played for my team for the last 16 years.”

7. yankeesgameday - Jul 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM

You’ll see this in the documentary… When the hbo cameras were on him jeter would kneel and cross himself before stepping up to the plate. Someone correct me, but in 16 years I don’t remember seeing him do that before any at bats.

If I’m wrong okay, then this isnt big deal. But if not, what’s up with that level of hypocrisy?

Chime in with an answer if you’ve seen him do that regularly or not.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 20, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Although I’ve seen it many times with different players, don’t recall EVER seeing this. The play-with-the-gloves part and the arm back and the other 30 second show, yes.

8. nocryinginbaseball07 - Jul 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM

dirtyharry, what are you always so wound up and snarky about? They’re just bantering, man! Why so bitter?

9. cur68 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM

All I want to know about this docco is if it features Minka in any way. If she’s not in it then I don’t care about it.

10. greynraney - Jul 21, 2011 at 5:27 AM

Damn! I think I have to clean my cat’s ass that night.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester