“I do think Lenny was deceptively smart in a lot of ways”

Jul 20, 2011, 8:50 AM EST

Lenny Dykstra AP

We’ve covered the tabloidy aspects of Lenny Dykstra’s plummet from grace pretty thoroughly. Now, then, it seems like a good time to link to a story that covers that fall in a more thorough fashion.  It’s by Harvey Araton in The New York Times and it’s pretty good.

The quote from the headline comes from a guy who tries to explain that Dykstra’s post-retirement career as a stock-picker was no sham.  Sadly, however, it’s belied by everything we’ve learned about Dykstra in the past few years, this article included.  He basically ripped off another stock analyst’s picks and charged people a thousand bucks a year for a subscription to such “insights.”

Oh, and his current Twitter account is a quasi-fraud too.  In jail, Dykstra can’t really run it, so there’s a 26-year-old kid from Philly who runs the thing, tweeting mildly-inspirational hokum and asking for money for Dykstra’s legal defense. The 26-year-old idolized Nails when he was a boy, naturally.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Chase Utley plays like Lenny did…and I don’t see him being the scumbag piece of garbage Lenny is down the road. The guy is just bad news and it doesn’t matter how hard he played. You are what you are. His former teammates don’t know anything about him once he left the clubhouse and so their defense of him doesn’t matter one bit. His wife divorcing him and him being estranged from the rest of his family tells you all you need to know about Lenny as a person.

Still, though…I’ll never forget the 10th inning of game 5 of the 1993 NLCS.

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I gave my son my box of baseball cards and we were going through them last night, getting all the brands/ years matched and whatnot. Well I stumbled on my Lenny D card. I ran my finger over it remembering how awesome I thought he was when I was younger. Such a shame. I also found my Ricky Henderson card and proceeded to show my son his stats and explain just how great this guy was on the base paths. He was really into it. Ahhh bonding.

• yankeesgameday - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:51 AM

This is what I was talking about yesterday in the comment section about the dearth African American fans of the game. Baseball is passed down just like this, father to son, and the real crisis is in the African American family unit, imo.

I love hearing you bonded with your son over baseball. Black, white, Hispanic, yada yada. Talk, play and watch baseball with kids and they will love it

Potty to go so far off topic. This post just stricken a chord with me

• kalinedrive - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Sorry (or potty) but I don’t buy that father-son bonding crap. My father was 37 when I was born, and was never into sports. I got into baseball because of my mother and my siblings and my friends. I didn’t come from a broken home, but I never played ball with my dad.

• paperlions - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM

He didn’t say that father-son bonding was the only mechanism, just that it is an important one. The fact that it was not yours has no bearing on the prevalence of it. Considering the number of people that get into particular sports because of their parent’s (usually father’s) interests, the effect of this particular mechanism likely is significant.

My love of baseball started 100% because of my father. Would it have developed without him? Maybe, but the fact is that it developed when and how it did because of our trips to games and him signing me up for little league and helping me develop skills in the back yard.

3. joshfrancis50 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:33 AM

When I read that headline, I thought you were making a connection to Lennie in Of Mice and Men.

Maybe it’s not that far of stretch…

4. bigyankeemike - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I like to trade options once in a while.

One day I remember Dykstra on WFAN on The Arrogant One’s show pushing his new magazine and his “Deep in the Money” Options website. At the time he claimed he had “89 straight winners”.

So I looked into it.

Did he have 89 straight winners? Yes.

How? He never sold the losers.

He rolled them over into future options further down the road. So his scorecard would read PLUS $250K for the winners, but a pending MINUS $300K for the losers.

Soon after, many people called him on it and, coincidentally, his downfall began around that time. He lost the Deep in the Money options website a few months later.

It’s sad because the financial website that hosted Dykstra’s page is extremely reputable.I still use them and am quite happy with their insight.

5. kiwicricket - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Just had an amusing thought….there literally would be people out there reading this post who solicited Lenny’s services. How did the advice work out for you fella’s??? (PS remember the time the ‘lady of the night’ posted on here! Awkward but highly amusing)

• bigyankeemike - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I didn’t lose money reading Dykstra’s touts. Then again, as it now appears, they weren’t his touts. I always suspected he had someone else doing the analysis writing because, from a techical standpoint, the analysis was detailed and financially sound. Apparently Lenny would take the original script and jazz it up with some of his lingo.

• kiwicricket - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I’m sorry if you thought that was directed at you. It took me a while to post, so I never read your comment. Sorry for the mix-up.

6. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I agree – Lenny was “deceptively smart” and could handle money, too. I remember once watching him pull a silver dollar out of the ear of a young fan.After that he pretended to pop out his eyeball and wash it in his mouth.

7. nickkocz - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Last week, Lenny tried to hit me up for money to make bail. After seeing that NYTimes article, I wrote up a blog piece about it this morning. nickkocz.com/blog.html

8. Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Nice to see that Lenny has a kid who looks up to and admires him – kinda like a slightly benign version of John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo.

9. jimbo1949 - Jul 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Craig, there was a much better AP photo of Lenny in his orange suit on the NYT.com yesterday. Not as good as a mug shot but very nice.

10. deathmonkey41 - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Lenny apparently didn’t use any of the money he stole on good plastic surgery. The dude is a orge.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester